Power outages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thincat

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had three power outages in two weeks. I have been lucky in that it has happened on cool days and one from 9pm to 3am. My bioload is quite small, but I was wondering how some of you handle these types of problems?

You can get battery operated air pumps at most LFS. Fishing supply stores, and even places like WalMart. They're relatively inexpensive, and work great in a pinch.

Xantrex PowerSource 400 for short 1-2 hour outages. Good enough to run low wattage pumps/powerheads for a while... can run heaters too as long as they aren't on long or too high of wattage.

Generator for the longer outages.

Let's hope that the third time is the charm. I think it's a faulty line transformer and it keeps tripping the whole subdivision. I Know, I know, I know....Where's the Tang police when you want them..;)

You can also use a couple of marine deep cycle batteries connected to an inverter which would give you a couple hours of power (a lot of people in my neck of the woods use this method because they live in apartment bldgs) or of course a generator, Honda makes some really good ones that are quiet. Don't forget to call your utility and file a complaint, I don't know how it works in your area but in NY if a power outage causes any losses the Utility is liable.

I have a couple of generators as well, but the problem with generators is that they aren't always in everyones budget. Generators can get pretty expensive. This is why I usually suggest battery powered aerators. They're cheap, and will give you a few hour power on a pair of AA batteries (which most people already have set aside for emergency situations)
Also, I use the battery aerators for transporting fish. If I have to drive across the state to pick up a new fish, a cooler full of water and an aerator make for an easy, worry free transport.
Gotta love milti-taskers.

But if it is within your means (financially), a generator is a great investment.

You can get battery operated air pumps at most LFS. Fishing supply stores, and even places like WalMart. They're relatively inexpensive, and work great in a pinch.

Air pumps aren't a piece of equipment normally used in the saltwater hobby. Even if they were, they would be at the bottom of the food chain to get restarted.

Water pumps on the other hand.....

Well, you won't believe this but I had another power outage of ~2 hours. This time I was ready with a UPS that kept my tank running for a portion of that time anyway.

Thats good. We have a local transformer that has gone out this year and last year around the same time. I HATE outages. lol

Air pumps aren't a piece of equipment normally used in the saltwater hobby. Even if they were, they would be at the bottom of the food chain to get restarted.

Water pumps on the other hand.....

i didnt even realize this was in the SW section till you said something. :D

Back
Top Bottom