Powerhead for 20 long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zacheyp

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to get only one power head but don'y know what type to get, please help!!

I have a 20gal. long with one koralia 550 and one koralia 425 The 550 is in the back right corner pointed at the opposite end of the tank and the 425 is in the front left corner pointed downward at the center front. Seems to get very good flow throughout the tank.

If you only want one, and you want to have it long term consider the vortex mp10. Generates more than enough flow for a 20gal. Personally I don't think you can get enough water movement from just one of any other powerhead without creating huge sandstorm issues. Maybe not a problem if you have a BB tank.

With a long tank like that i would also recommend 2 powerheads. Maybe 2 425's or two 550's of aimed properly. You want all the water in the tank to circulate with no dead spots for debris to accumulate. :)

I second the MP10, I just replaced my 2 koralias with one on my 30 gal. Excellent flow and with the different Ecosmart settings you can create waves & large water movements to make up for only one powerhead. 200-1575gph flow

Back
Top Bottom