Powerhead Help!! Super Confused!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I hate sounding like a noob in the Forum lol. I need some advice. I only have a 55 gallon and I have 2 Maxi Jets power heads rated at 750 gallon per hour on circulation mode. I didn't get bigger ones cause even these blow my baby clown fish all over the tank. I feel sorry for them and even turned one pump off cause they stayed to one side of the tank opposite of the circulation pump lol. Should I get stronger pumps? Should I have one on each side? One facing the surface and one facing the middle of the tank. a friend said get 1 big Korolia (spell Check) one one side and let it flow to the other side since some corals like high flow and some like low flow. Help Please lol. Thanks.:nono:

I have a 55g corner bow and I have 2 700gph PH and 1 500 gph PH. And my fish don't have any problems with it being too much current. Since I have 3 sides, I have one 700 on front left side, one 700 on front right side and the 500 on back right side mostly facing up and kinda towards each other. This keeps food and such from settling, but doesn't seem to bother the fish or corals. If yours is a rectangle, I would put them on opposite sides of the tank, facing each other. See if that helps. You'll probably have to mess around with the placement a little to get it right.

OK thanks. Ill get 2 of the Hydor evolutions and put one on each side facing up for good water movement.

ChiTownRomeo said:
OK thanks. Ill get 2 of the Hydor evolutions and put one on each side facing up for good water movement.

I would just try moving the ones you already have first. If that helps, then you won't be out of pocket any more money, but that's your choice. :)

I feel your pain, my tank has been set up for over a year now and I struggle with this constantly. Either I have too much flow on the corals and they close up or my fish are blown all over the tank or the sand is turning brown cause not enough flow at the bottom. I also have a 55 with to eBay knockoff powere heads rated at 800.

I feel your pain, my tank has been set up for over a year now and I struggle with this constantly. Either I have too much flow on the corals and they close up or my fish are blown all over the tank or the sand is turning brown cause not enough flow at the bottom. I also have a 55 with to eBay knockoff powere heads rated at 800.

How are the knock offs? they are cheap but look like they dont move alot of water.

I've had them for a year now and the have been problem free so far. The only thing I've had to do is clean the suction cups every once in awhile and place a dab of silicon grease on them. They do push water very well, alittle to well infact. I have 2 in the tank and I can never figure out how to situate them to where they are not annoying corals or fish, so I usually only run one on the same side as my return. I probably should have went a tad smaller on them.

I have a 55g with 2 Hydor 4's on there wavemaker Basic 2. The big difference is the Hydor's have a wider more softer flow, the MaxiJet is like a small stream coming out. Miy fish love my Hydors and often play in the flow. They pump 1400gph each I have them on 2sec intervals

On my 46, I have two 1300gph pumps. The flow is beneficial to my system and if it seems too much just redirect so its not quite as strong but from what I understand the whole idea is to eliminate dead spots in the tank even if that means moving them around every few weeks or so.

Back
Top Bottom