Powerhead placement in a 55g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshuha

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just a quick question on optimal powerhead placement. I have a standard 55 gallon and have placed 2 maxi-jet 1200s about 6 inches below the water line pointed straight at each other. They are mounted in the middle on both sides of the tank. I also have a maxi-jet 1200 for my AquaC Remora that sits right in the middle on the back of the tank.

Right now I am getting decent circulation and water rippling toward the top of the tank. My question is how do I know if I am getting good enough flow toward the bottom of the tank? I was thinking of maybe lowering the powerheads closer to the bottom so the intakes create more of a flow on the bottom and just angling the flow to meet in the top in the tank.

Anyone have any pictures of a 55 gallon and how they arranged their PHs? Thanks.

Does food or other debris settle on the bottom? If it does you need more water flow. I have my maxijets flush with the water line facing eachother at an angle.

Back
Top Bottom