Powerhead Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TygGer

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Maxijets just came in the mail today and I had a few questions...

1. Do I want to use the venturi plug? What is it's purpose?

2. In a FOWLR tank, do I want to have air bubbles come out of the powerhead? Right now, I have the air control valve air tight with no bubbles.

3. Can I use the Prefilter Grid Support (the shorter of the two) instead of the undergravel filter adapter? I placed the PH right over some LR and would like the extra clearance the shorter adapter provides. I'm not using any pads or sponges...

Thanks!

I'd remove the venturi tubing entirely. That way no air can enter the system.
I just use the pre filter support. To me it looks like if anything got sucked into the ph the grid would still allow water to flow until I cleaned the obstruction. Not that I have found snails stuck to the intake of the ph or anything like that. :wink:

Agreed with everything darb2 said.

The only time I ever use the venturi is when the PH is mixing up my SW.

So I should just use the venturi plug to fill the hole? What is the purpose of creating air bubbles with the venturi tube?

Thanks, I'm now using the prefilter support instead of the longer "filter adapter".

If your powerhead is more than a few inches below the water surface you dont need to plug it at all. If your powerhead is really close to the surface you could plug it expecially if you get a small ventrui cylcone from the surface into it.

The venturi is manly used on FW tanks where you want air being injected into the tank for on purpose or another. In SW having alot of suspended airbubbles can be an irratant to sensitive fish and inverts.

Back
Top Bottom