Powerheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got two Maxijet PH1200 powerheads for my 35gallon tank, which will turn over close to 20 times the tank's volume an hour. And, they're very powerful, and create a LOT of turbulence and watermovement. Too much really.

I was thinking of leaving them both off during the day, and just having the (still quite hard) output from my Eheim filter on, and then turning both powerheads on during the night for 12 hours, ie. when my fish are most likely to be asleep, so that they can chill during the day, and then I can do all the aeration/watermovement etc. during the night.

Even having just one on all day seems a lot!!

What does anyone think?

I think you bought poerheads that are too large. 8O Try using just one. If anything I would run it during the day and turn it off at night if that's what you want to do. I don't think your fish would appreciate a typhoon every night. :)
Maybe set up a sump and use a 1200 for the return pump. That would work pretty well.

Try alternating them with a timer so that only 1 is on at a time. Is there any way to restrict the out put so it reduces th gph? Or maybe hook them up to some pvc with holes drilled in them to distribute the return flow.

Maxi jet 1200's are to big for your tank. I would go with a pair of 600's.

OK, thanks for the help guys. I already have one ph600 so I'll use that, and get another one.

:)

Back
Top Bottom