*Powerheads? Life Expectancy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxnonamexx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was just wondering what a life expectantcy of a powerhead is? I have 2 in my 55gal that have been working 24/7 past 3 years and one in my wet/dry filter same way. I am just afraid what if the one in the wet/dry filter goes out then I will have a mess. Any Ideas? Thanks

Depends on how often you clean them. If they are not routinely cleaned every few months they will not last as long as they could. Generally I get about 5ish years out of your common in tank powerhead. If you use a alk/Ca additive of anykind, soaking them in a vinegar/water solution a few times a year will remove any build up and increase the life of the pump.

Cheers
Steve

What would happen though if the PH in the Wet/Dry Filter stopped? That means 55gal of water all over the floor??

Depends on the overflow. If a HOB style and it's set up properly, it will simpley lose it's siphon once the water level goes below the lip of the overflow. Same if this is a built in overflow, the level of the water falls below the top edge of the overflow, the water will stop entering the sump.

You also need to ensure the return lines from the sump have back siphon holes drilled into them. That will break the siphon and prevent water from entering the sump as well.

Just be sure you do a few tests shutting of the power to the pump to see what happens. Also mark on the sump where the max/min water level should be. Never fill a sump more than ½ full but a few tests should give you an optimum safe level.

Cheers
Steve

IF your return pump stops on your sump and the overflow and returns are setup properly you shouldnt get more than 4-5 gal back washing into the sump from the main tank. If you rreturn lines in the main tank are well below the water line and you dont have a syphon break built into the return lines then water will drain out of the main tank until air can break the syphon on the return lines.

Back
Top Bottom