Pre-filter for skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

two11devan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone use a prefilter for their skimmer? I just switched to a remora from a bak pak and I am noticing alot of junk along the top of the water.....I have been thinking about getting a pre-filter, just wondering if they really are all they are cracked up to be....thanks!

The pre filters pull water from the top of the tank. This is supposed to eliminate the doc buildup on the surface.

I was wondering who used them and what kind of success they have had with them...thanks for the replies :wink:

I use one with my BakPak and really haven't noticed a huge difference. It does look better. You can prevent a lot of the film that sits on top of the water if you experiment with your PH positioning. Are you getting better skimmate since you swithced to the Remora?

My skimmer is in the sump, and it draws water from mid-depth. However, the sump is fed from the main tank by a surface draw siphon... I've not had a problem with surface scum and the skimmer works well.

My experience is that you have to draw surface water off the main tank somehow, either directly into the skimmer or into the sump.

I love the remora....its still in its break-in period but it seems to be working very well. I think it looks much nicer than the bak pak I had and its much much quieter. There are less parts to clean because there are no air induction hoses. I had a problem with having to clean them all the time with my bak pak.

Back
Top Bottom