pre mixed saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Driller31

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I posted a thread earlier about me having a new set up...Now I am wondering if my system is stable? I know I need all the testing equipment, but this water came straight from the owners store, would that water not be established already??Or did adding the live rocks throw everything off again??Would it hurt to go ahead and buy a cleaner pack, or should I wait on this??

Welcome to AA!
Even though you brought water home from your LFS, it really won't count for anything. All the beneficial bacteria that make your tank stable reside in your LR and sand. When starting a new tank, getting the water and LR in the tank is step one. Step two is initiating a bacteria cycle by introducing an ammonia source to the tank for 2-4 weeks. This will allow the bacteria in your tank to grow and break down ammonia and nitrites and enable you to get your first fish around week 4or so. It might be faster if your LR is already cured.

You'll know the cycle has happened by taking daily ammonia readings.You'll see the ammonia spike up, then slowly go down. About 3-5 days after the ammonia spike starts, you'll get a nitrite spike. Then as the weeks go on and your bacteria grow, the numbers will reach 0. When that happens your tank is now cycled and once you do a PWC of about 20-30% is ready for its first tenants.

During this time I wouldn't buy any livestock for your tank, no clean up crew, nothing. The ammonia and nitrite spikes will kill them, or at the very least shorten their lifespan by about 90%.

Very well stated Krypt. That is exactly right. All the beneficial bacteria are on the rocks and sand, not the water column. I'm afraid there's no shortcuts around the cycling lol. Unless you bought a working system.. but then where's the fun in that, right?

True, very true.. Seems like I always rush into things, and probly if I were ever going to slow down and let things run their course then this would definately be the place to start...I am so ready to dive into this project and really spend some time and oh I guess money...I have alot of plans for this new tank, and I am ready to get started, but this is the place were hurrying is not going to get me anywheres, so thanks Peeps!!!!

Let me pass on the best advice I received on this forum 6 years ago...
"Nothing GOOD ever happens FAST in a SW aquarium"

Welcome and good luck.

A little blunt.. but i agree with Kurt. You can never do to much research. The more research you do, the better prepared you will be when something goes wrong. And trust me, something always goes wrong at some point in time. I research about fish and coral that i don't have, and don't even plan to have either lol. Just incase.. ;)

Back
Top Bottom