Pre Mixed Saltwater and other questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sparky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a few questions I would like to know the answers to.
Just for Info's sake:

I have a 125 gallon with some fish, aneome, and live rock. I do weekly water changes of 25 gallons. I use a filter to deionize the water before mixing. I also use this filter when topping off, (which I don't do too much because of the constant water changes). Any other information you may need just post here and I will post it up.

1. Can you premix a concentrated saltwater solution in advance? How long can you "keep" this solution before it will become unusable?

I want to be able to make up a concentrated gallon of Salteater and when ready to do water changes, add it to a five gallon bucket of DI water.

2. If concentated saltwater cannot be used as above, can I premix water into five gallon buckets in advance and seal them from when I need them? How long can you keep these if it is possible?

3. I have found some rocks that I would like to put into my tank. They are typical Flagstone type of rock. I want to build a base wall for the live rock that I have now. Can I use these rocks? If so, what should I do to make sure that they are "clean" enough to put into the tank? I know the flag stone is not really porus enough, but I intend on using them just for a base to build from.

Thanks,

Mike

Sure you can premix your saltwater, just keep a PH in the container and heat it if you can. That way when you add to main tank the temp doesn't fluctuate that much. But if water is added to fuge or sump, no need for heater.
which I don't do too much because of the constant water changes
need to add once in a while to keep concentrations down. Do you have problems with SG?

I have no problems with the SG fluctuating at all. It stays pretty stable @ 1.024. I actually have it down to exactly how much salt mix I need to mix 5 gallons of water. I have recently been experimenting with making a concentrate in a one gallon jug and them mixing into a 5 gallon bucket and it comes out perfect each time so far. I let this solution set overnight with a heater in it before I put it into the tank. I do not have a powerhead to use on it yet. I think I will get one for that this weekend.

Hey thanks for the reply, I was beginning to think no one was going to reply to any of the questions.

Mike

I had 45 gallons of saleted water sit for abotu a month in front of my tank unheated but had a PH in there running at all times. 2 days before the LR came I tossed in a heater. Worked GREAT ! Rock is ahppy and so are the 6 Chromis...

The only thing to worry about with premixing water is evaporation and contamination. Both of which can easily be avoided with a secure lid on the container. However some evaporation may still occur and if the water has sat for a long while I would double check the SG at tank temperature before adding to the tank.

Yes I agree. What I have done so far is just for testing. I have premixed 5 gallons of water yesterday and I put that stretchy type of plastic wrap seal over it and fastened the lid back down on the can. The cans are plastic, I tested the water for SG and PH before putting the cover on. I am going to let it set for a month and open it again, test the water and see what I get. Gives me something to do while waiting for my bulbs to come in. LOL

Mike

Back
Top Bottom