Preparing for an eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, finally getting an eel and I'm preparing my tank for it. Most likely a snowflake - possibly a zebra. I'm going to glue down some important pieces of rock that kind of hold everything together and most importantly, making sure the tank is sealed.

So, I'm using eggcrate for a top right now. The sides and corners are held down pretty tightly on the sides and front by my lights, the back I'm going to weight down, just to be safe - it seems pretty secure now. But, can anyone give me any feedback on eggcrate for eel tanks? Obviously, it depends on the size of the eel, but should eggcrate be okay as long as the eel's head is a little wider than the holes in the eggcrate or will they be able to squeeze through? Maybe I should go glass? The problem is that I have a 110 tall tank and I'd like as much gas exchange as posssible.

Thanks, all.

- Skins

You should be ok with the egg crate. I used that for a long time on my tank. But then, my eels never challenged the tops.

Why iffy SALTYDAWG? Many people that house eels use it to secure the top. I'm using it now and it is very secure. My concern is with the square holes. I'm just not sure how small is too small of an eel when using egg crate. Have you had issues with it in the past?

No, but I did try it with an octopus once for the gas exchange. BAD IDEA! Ended up on my floor. Squirmy wormy things like octo's and eel's have an easy time of getting through small places. That is all I meant by iffy.

Back
Top Bottom