(Probably) a Stupid Question on Coral Placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCXGT

Aquarium Advice Addict
So.

I have a certain plan for my coral stocking in my 10G reef, they are to be very spread out due to fear of corals killing or stinging eachother.

My question is: How do people keep these tiny nano reefs so packed with coral without ill effects?

It seems like in so many of the beautiful tanks I see, many different species are right up against one another.

Now, my plan is to create a Euphyllia Haven on the 'Top Floor' of the tank and a Zoa/Shroom Garden on the bottom.

While I know Euphyllia can withstand each-others stings, I'm still worried about placements.

I mean.. Look at this:

This is just insane, I love it.

This is kinda what I want to have a go at doing.

Thank you for your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Like corals do not sting each other. Euphyllia doesn't sting Euphyllia, montipora doesn't war with other montipora....
Mushrooms and zoas compete for real estate by simply growing. If taller, larger zoas are placed in close proximity with smaller ones, chances are the larger will overgrow and block the light.

Like corals do not sting each other. Euphyllia doesn't sting Euphyllia, montipora doesn't war with other montipora....
Mushrooms and zoas compete for real estate by simply growing. If taller, larger zoas are placed in close proximity with smaller ones, chances are the larger will overgrow and block the light.

A friend of mine keeps his Acans in the shadow of his Monti-cap, I'd say there's about 8" between them.

Aren't Acan sweepers like a foot long?

Should this be a mistake?

I think your thinking of galaxea. Acans don't really have big sweepers

As X said cluster the compatible corals together. Almost all SPS corals can be clustered. Most LPS can also be clustered with a few hold outs like torch corals. Zoas easily grow in groves. As do most acans. The softies tend to crowd each other out rather than sting. But there are a few, like galaxea that have very long sweepers and don't seem to like anyone.

That was a good question by the way.

Last edited:
As X said cluster the compatible corals together. Almost all SPS corals can be clustered. Most LPS can also be clustered with a few hold outs like torch corals. Zoas easily grow in groves. As do most acans. The softies tend to crowd each other out rather than sting. But there are a few, like galaxia that have very long sweepers and don't seem to like anyone.

That was a good question by the way.

Thanks, thought it would've been idiotic..

You mentioned Torches, are you saying that Torches don't get along with ANY coral? Or that they should be kept with other Euphyllia only?

Thanks, thought it would've been idiotic..

You mentioned Torches, are you saying that Torches don't get along with ANY coral? Or that they should be kept with other Euphyllia only?

My torches have always formed a "no mans zone" for a few inches around it. Nothing dares growing there, including other LPS varieties.

Last edited:
My torches have always formed a "no mans zone" for a few inches around it. Nothing dares growing there, including other LPS varieties.

Hmm... Might just stick to Frogs/Hammers in the case..

Back
Top Bottom