problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

10s-chick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have had my tank for almost 2 years and I would say I am still learning, but I have a yellow tang, blue tang, cleaner shrimp and hermit crabs and recently I have been having outbreaks of white egg looking things on the glass tank. the fish seem unaffected but I would like to know what it is and how to get rid of it if it is not good??

10s-chick said:
So I have had my tank for almost 2 years and I would say I am still learning, but I have a yellow tang, blue tang, cleaner shrimp and hermit crabs and recently I have been having outbreaks of white egg looking things on the glass tank. the fish seem unaffected but I would like to know what it is and how to get rid of it if it is not good??

this is a pic if you can see them very well. it is a 55 gal and I'm pretty sure it's not ick cause I have had that before and they are more egg like and seem a lil bigger

Attachments

• image-3365247750.jpg
    image-3365247750.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 245
what do u mean by pod? they just look like maybe a little white egg

I mean coepods or amphipods. Youre bound to have some in your tank since it's been so long. Do they look like little itty bitty "lice" or "fleas"? If so then that's a good thing. :)

ya they look like little lice, they don't move around like Copepods. why are they good? and what are they should I try to get rid of them?

If they don't move I agree wig spirorbid worms. They're filter feeders taking out excess nutrients. Not bad but you can scrub them off.

They are fish food. Many species prefer these to anything else. They are very good to have as they help complete a life cycle in your tank. That's if they are copepods and/or amphiopods. Wrasses will enjoy these if they are worms.

You will go through periods of time when the population reaches high levels but they will sort it all out in probably a few days or weeks. i get mass amounts of them on my glass every couple of months.

Like said above, fish like to eat them and they help complete the life cycle of your tank. :)

10s-chick said:

Your tank has been up and running for two years and that is the original rock?

10s-chick said:
yes it is the original rock, y? is something wrong?

I have just never seen rock that been is a saltwater tank for that long look like just added rock instead of being covered with Coraline algae,blue,green,purple.What lights are you using?

My tank has been up for over a year and my rocks are no where near covered in coralline, IMO that has nothing to do with the lights.

iDream said:
My tank has been up for over a year and my rocks are no where near covered in coralline, IMO that has nothing to do with the lights.

You can't convince me lighting doesn't make A difference.Granted I have MH but here are pictures of my tank in March and now.I have Coraline spreading all over the base rock already.

Attachments

• image-2101590514.jpg
    image-2101590514.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 188
  • image-4033501132.jpg
    image-4033501132.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 197
well u only see one section of rock in that pic I do have alot of coraline algae but my tank is only fish so I only have a basic light not for a reef setup.

Attachments

• image-754013353.jpg
    image-754013353.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 184
iDream said:
That's not coralline covering your rocks too btw

BTW I said spreading.Look at the attached closeup pictures and if you don!t see the splotches of Coraline growing than apparently you don't recognize it when you see it.disregard the third picture it was from two months ago .

Attachments

• image-1835899708.jpg
    image-1835899708.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 160
  • image-74875906.jpg
    image-74875906.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 170
  • image-2007063681.jpg
    image-2007063681.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 137
Back
Top Bottom