Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

something_fishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I went out and got another light, so now I have 1 life-glow and 1 marine-glow on my tank. The chemical levels are all doing fine and the fish are doing great. I still have some problems though. I have noticed my bubbletip getting smaller and shrivelling up and now it looks like it is falling apart. The colony of polyps I have are starting to share their home with some sort of fuzzy algae growth, is it good? bad? if bad how do I get rid of it? Also, If my bubbletip is out of hope, should I put it out of its misery? is there any way to save it? Please help me.

The fuzzy stuff appears to be hair algae. You can use a small pipe brush and twirl it in the hair algae and remove it, you also need to make sure you are exporting nutrients (particularly phosphates).

with some sort of fuzzy algae growth, is it good? bad?

Bad

I have noticed my bubbletip getting smaller and shrivelling up and now it looks like it is falling apart.

You do not have enough light for the anemone, and from the pic...It appears it is dead, or very close. I would remove the anemone, IMO, there is no hope for it, if there was any chance for survival, the conditions could not be met in your aquarium to foster those chances.

Nutrients, phosphates???

what exactly do you mean, exporting nutrients?? escpecially phosphates? also, The lighting I have is not enough for bubbletip, is it enough for marine at all??? I have double flourescent lighting.

If this is the tank that you posted before when you found the lights, then you probably have enough light for marine, but maybe not enough for a bubbletip anemone. As far as the algae goes, it looks to me like bryopsis? That is nuisance algae and you will want to get rid of it...like Kevin said..

If I am not mistaken, you only have a 15 gal tank:

The tank has a bunch of live rock and two anemone, 2 clown fish and 2 green spotted puffers, also a few hermit crabs and a recent discovery, a tiny 3 legged starfish!!

Like Kevin said, the nutrients could be pretty high and the phosphates also. I notice that you have puffers and they are somewhat messy eaters. If you do not have a skimmer, you may want to invest in one, or do frequent water changes to get the nutrients down...Sorry to here about the bubbletip, they are cool looking anemones...

Thanks for all the input

I still have one pinktip anemone and it seems to be doing very well, it takes food readily and is growing in size. I also have noticed some smaller dark orange long tentacle anemones sprouting up all over the live rock, are these friendly?? As for the water quality, I do a 4 gallon water change weekly and I also have massive filtration. I have a fluval underwater filter that filters 90 litres of water an hour and 2 aqua clear external 200's, so I can hardly see the water quality being an issue. I test regularily and i might get a very tiny amount of nitrites and nitrates (hardly even enough to mention) and no ammonia. Also, do clown fish NEED to have a host anemone??? Will they do allright without it? and is there any way to fabricate something to let them think it is an anemone that they can hide in??

the dark orange tentacle anemone sound like aiptasia..not friendly.

You have enough lighting for fish. Not for anemone and most corals. Clowns do not require an anemone to live. Water quality can still definitely be an issue even with what you perceive to be massive filtration. How often do you service the cannister? What type of media do you have in it? Same question for the aqua clear.
If you are not changing the media often enough, you are still going to have the phosphates, nitrates etc. The nitrites should be 0, not just minimal. You say the chemical levels are doing fine...what exactly is fine? What are the readings?

Back
Top Bottom