Prop/Grow out Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarineFlake

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Bought a 20G today. Ordered the 24" Aqualight pro http://www.hellolights.com/24aqpr1x15hq.html Was looking and found at Petco a Marineland H.O.T filter and Marineland skimmer. Was considering a skilter or similar device, but I don't want to get into something so non standard I can't get parts or media for it in 6 months. Anyway, ne1 have suggestions on filtration, skimming and water flow? Also, would like to drop a shrimp (cleaner) in and maybe a clown or something that will help keep the algea down..blenny maybe? Im going to use 20 lbs of live sand and drop in a couple chunks of base rock. Once cycled Im going to frag off some of my show tank lps and see what grows..

Thanks
-PC

I've heard that SeaClone skimmers are very fussy. You'd probably be better served by a Remora (only $60ish more than the SeaClone). But then again, you don't have a large bio-load in a growout tank.

Honestly, in a tank that size, I shouldn't produce much skimmat at all. Shrimp a crab and maybe a snail plus a fish. Just doesn't seem feeding the shrimp and fish will cause a lot of pollution, thats why I was looking for a cheap solution. The only thing Im not real on par with is water flow. Doubt I should drop in a couple 700gph power heads..Suppose it will depend on the frags, etc.

Thanks
-PC

Are you going to do a shelf system as I've seen with other coral growout tanks? Or a more natural setting. Interested in seeing what it looks like!

And yes, a tank with corals only isn't being fed much (or at all), and as such you won't be seeing much skimmate :)

You're not going to see much skimate with a Seaclone on any tank, but I will concede that it's better than nothing. My guess is that you won't really need skimmer on this tank as long as you do regular water changes.

Ya, prolly 5G changes every other week depending on inhabitants and tests. As for the 'shelf' tank, I am assuming your referring to the use of pvc pipes and plastic 'shelves'. I had considered it but since it will be so close to my computer asthetics would be a plus, so I think Im going to use 'bout 20lbs of live sand and 10 - 15 lbs of lr with a lot of rubble for glueing/attaching, etc. I'll have about 14w/g of lighting so Im considering a small clam to help filter, a cleaner shrimp, a small crab, a snail or 2 and maybe an algea eating blenny. All that to help keep a natural high level of water quality if only to augment my water changes, etc. Hellolights called to say they were out of the XM mh bulb, so they are shipping a coralife at no extra charge. Im not all that familiar with mh, so I guess its a good thing since they are normally 30 bucks more. I'll post pix when I get her up and of course as it progresses.

Thanks, I've seen a few of those types of comparisons online. They all seem to boil down to personal pref. Ex, my 'kit' comes with a 150 HQI 10k. I'd just as soon use a 12 or 14k. a little blue for some, but I kind of like the shallow blue look. As for output, its a 20g with 280w of light over it, I don't suspect I'll see too many dark areas. In fact, I was thinking tonite about how best to arrange it for some 'shade' for those corals who don't care for the bright lights of the big city..

PC, I have a seaclone, and I hate it. Im going to get a aquac remora pro. As for the lighting, I think you are not getting as much light as you are paying for ok? I reccomend getting like a 400watt MH, you never know when you are going into sps like me :twisted:
This is the best price I can find for ya! This will save you alot, and when you decide to get into the sps then your all ready! I calculated the watts you get with the aqualight pro, and you get 280watts and it costs you $368.95 and the 400watt MH from sharkys reef is $220. If you have a hood already, you can just mount it into there, screw in the bulb, plug in ballast and your ready to go! You save $148.95 and you get more watts which=happy light lovers, and your (Hopefully soon to be) sps corals will love it too! You can take that $148.95 and save it towards your new skimmer, and you win! Here's the link if you are interested: http://www.sharkysreef.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45&products_id=236
Hey, you could put the 400 MH into your main system and get a cheap pc lighting system for your 20g if you feel that the MH is too much for it! :lol:

Yea, but the 280watts, could have heat issues too. He could put the 400 MH on his main and get a cheap system for his 20gal

Icecap has some pretty neat looking MH pendants. They are available in 70 or 150w and use a MH bulb that looks like an incandescent floodlamp. Might be an option if you want MH...definitely cheaper. PC's work quite well on a 20g though.

400w MH would toast a 20g tank without some type of high flow fan or chiller. Maybe in the northern states where temps stay tolerable but in good ole MS, its easily 80 plus degrees inside, 100 plus outside and with 400w MH hanging over a 20g sw tank, thats more cooling trouble than its worth. True, the retro kit could hang, but in fact, there is no top for this tank and the Aqualight comes with legs. Honestly, after all the research, the only thing I would do different if I could would be to use a 30g tank or a 20L. As it stands it will be a challange finding a 'not so sunny' spot in the tank for those corals who don't take to a HQI bulb burning all up in its mug. My first frag will be a finger leather and fragging the crown of my toadstool. After that, who knows, but niether of those are really 'high' light requirements. Heck at 14w / gal, I forsee not only sps, but maybe some nice small clams..

-PC

Back
Top Bottom