Propagating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltwaterTeen

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would like to propagate my corals sooner or later I would like some tips on how U would propagate them. The corals I have are:

Green Centered Button Polyps

Colt Coral

Red Shroom

Those are my three corals, and I want to know how to propagate them and when I should cuz I just got them on 3/13/04 Thanks For your Advice

Btw, check out the corals and my new 10$ anemone when the get into the photo gallery and if u have any comments plz feel free to post them :)

THANK YOU ALL :)

The mushrooms are the easiest to propagate, just cut of the head, place the head on a rock and cover with some bridal mesh and the head will reattach and where you made the cutting another head will grow. You can even cut the head in half and get more. Mushrooms are virtually impossible to kill and can grow like weeds. The same is true of the colt coral, remove the coral from the tank, use a sharp razor or scissors. Make a quick clean cut on a branch that has a few forks on it. Use super glue to attach the cutting to a piece of rock, you may also want to lightly wrap a rubber band or the bridal veil netting over it to hold it down. There's a lot of good info at http://www.garf.org on propagating different types of corals, well worth reading. As to when to frag, let the corals grow awhile and when they get too large for the tank or your tastes, trim them back.

Yea, I checked that out b4 about xenias, I wanted one but the fish store owns them but the guy selling all the stuff to us said that they are the hardest coral to start growing then after they start growing they are the easiest and they spread like weeds so I bout a $10 bubble tip and so far he is doing fine, also I heard that anemones wont last longer than like 2 weeks, is that true?? Thanks for the advice

Given proper water conditions and ample light and ample feedings anenomes will live much longer than two weeks. Where their life span is so limited is when they are given unsufficent light, no suplmental feedings, and unconsistant water conditions.

I just bought a mushroom coral, luminous green, I wanted to propagate it, but its not like what the article mention with stalk at the bottom of each mushroom, its base is like an anemone, the whole mushroom is attached to the LR, how do I propagate this type of mushroom? And another question, will the mushroom mutiply itself if I don't propagate it?

You probably got a no neck mushroom. If they are in a posistion where they get plenty of light they wont have much of a 'stalk' to so speak.

Back
Top Bottom