Proper lighting cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marc118

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is a proper lighting cycle I should get into ( after i get my timer ).

I have daylight and actinic on seperate switches.

From what I have read, on various web sites, many people do the following, for example:

1- Actinics on at about 8:00 AM.
2- Regular lights on at 8:30 AM.

3- Regular lights off at 8:30 PM.
4- Actinics off at 9:00 PM.

Some people even add so called moon lights for a tad longer.

Usually, 10 to 12 hours of regular light is considered close to nature's cycle. Some people allow more and other less light. Experiment to see what works best for you. Whatever light cycle you adopt, your tank inhabitants will adapt.

HTH

8)

This topic is completely personal preference. There is no hard and fast rule.

It's important however, to not overdo your lighting, but 12 hours is generally common practice.

Most will separate their actinics from their 10000k lighting to create the dawn and dusk effect. Is it neccessary, no, but it's a nice touch and some research shows it to have a positive effect on the inhabitants.

Moonlights are nice as well. They give your tank a night shimmer and if setup right, looks quite natural and pretty cool. Some say the moonlight promotes spawning etc.

The big key to remember when setting your time schedule is when is best for you!! You're the one looking at/looking after the tank, and therefore, it should revolve around your schedule. Does it make sense to come on bright and early in the morning when you are rushing to get up and out of the house.... probably not. Most like to extend their night viewing time.

I have mine set like so:

actinics on @ 10am
10000k on @ 11pm
10000k off @ 9pm
actinics off @ 10pm

HTH,
Ryan

Yeah my buddies and I all have different cycles but usually tend to be around 12 hours total. Like stated above its up to your liking how you set up your timers.

Mine run
actinic's on at 10am
hqi's on at 11am
hqi's off at 8pm
actinic's off at 10pm
moonlights run all night.

Based on some earlier advice from this board, I've set mine to come on at 12 noon and go off at midnight. We're night owls and I don't see the point of an early cycle and time off cycle. When we get home from work and school and later into the night is when we have time and want to observe everything. Early mornings are just too rushed.

I do mine from 12 to 10 PM, so I get some "quality time" once I get home from work...

Back
Top Bottom