Proper Powerhead Placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trigger_Happy814

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my tank running for a few months. 55 gallon with about 40lbs of rock. My Sand is starting to get red/green/purple patches. Under top layer. I asked LFS. They say it algae from dead spots, meaning waters not circulating enough! I have 2 650 koralias. I had them on opposite sides. One pointing slightly to the back and upwards. They other pointing to the front slightly down. What is the best positioning for full circulation. Some say it creates a vortex type flow! How do u know when u get full circulation?? Any help and pics would be appreciated!!!

Placement of the powerheads completely depends on the setup of your rock work. One thing you can do to check for flow is tie a piece of bright colored string to the end of a dowel and check for dead spots in your tank that way.

Mebbid said:
Placement of the powerheads completely depends on the setup of your rock work. One thing you can do to check for flow is tie a piece of bright colored string to the end of a dowel and check for dead spots in your tank that way.

+1. Just move them from week to week. Eventually youll find a suitable combo. Algae loves dead spots so if you move them and notice the algae dying off, you improved flow in that area

I have mine on the ends of the tank mid way down pointing at the front center of the glass the flows collide with each other giving a chaotic flow in the tank. But like others have said you'll need to move them around until you find the sweet spot for your tank

I've had my tank running for a few months. 55 gallon with about 40lbs of rock. My Sand is starting to get red/green/purple patches. Under top layer. I asked LFS. They say it algae from dead spots, meaning waters not circulating enough! I have 2 650 koralias. I had them on opposite sides. One pointing slightly to the back and upwards. They other pointing to the front slightly down. What is the best positioning for full circulation. Some say it creates a vortex type flow! How do u know when u get full circulation?? Any help and pics would be appreciated!!!

That configuration of your 2 power heads will circulate water mostly on the sides of your tank. The ph pointing upward may even create a low flow at the bottom in the opposite side. The center of your tank will have a dead spot. In short, the ph should never be placed where it will make a circular pattern of the flow. Random flow or turbulence is mostly preferred. You might need a 3rd smaller ph in the back farther away from your sump return nozzle.

Since your anemone has already settled, I would be cautious in rearranging the power head placements. If your HOB filter is on the right side it would help. You need another half sized ph somewhere in the back pointed upward to agitate surface.

Since your anemone has already settled, I would be cautious in rearranging the power head placements. If your HOB filter is on the right side it would help. You need another half sized ph somewhere in the back pointed upward to agitate surface.

I actually not sure if she settled! She was on the rock far right under the ph for 3 months. She just moved to that location and moves around that area daily now! So your saying I should move filter to right side?

Try moving the ph 1/3 below surface on each side pointing each other so they create turbulence at the middle. You still need a 3rd ph to agitate surface for oxigenation on the right side since your filter is on the left.

I agree that adding another powerhead would help and with doing that consider a wave maker. You can go for broke on them or get budget ones. Personally I have one that is a powerbar with 3 outlets always on and 3 outlets that run off the built in adjustable timer. It works well and keeps the flow random, It's called "natural wave" wavemaker. It's cheap and easy to use and runs three powerheads but is rated to handle multiple powerheads on each controlled outlet. Beware however that although hydor says the koralias will work for a wavemaker they tend to like starting backwards. The evolution series is better as they have a little rubber bumper to stop backwards starts but it time they tend to break the bumper off. This was my issue and as such am going to spend the money for vortech powerheads, they cost a small fortune but from all reviews are worth it.

Back
Top Bottom