Pro's and Con's about Yellow Hawaiian Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salt4Us

Aquarium Advice FINatic
We'd like to add some more fish eventually to our 60 gallon and I know that most tangs need 100+ gallon. I like the yellow tangs but I don't want to just rush out and get one only to find out it was a big mistake for the corals we have and also for the fish itself.

Does anyone own one of these if so how "hardy" is it really, sometimes I'm so tired of seeing that "hardy" word, nothing is hardy unless you know how to take care of it. I plan on doing more reading but your input would really sway us one way or the other.

Thanks!

Just added a yellow tang in my system. He is the only fish in there now along with invertibrates. I wouldn't consider the yellow tangs as hardy as some other fish, but he's doing well so far...knock on glass, i mean wood. GL!

i think they are fairly hardy, i hear the can get ick and black ick easily, there great algae grazers, and always swimming around and add bright color too your tank.

The guy from my lfs told me that when they started the store, an employee made a mistake and brought the salinity to 1.035, and the only fishes that survived were two yellow tangs, so id say we can call them hardy fishes! 8)

Hardy, as far as a Tang can be hardy. Tangs as a whole are susceptible to disease, however the yellow is considered a bit more resistant. It is not quite a damsel, but given good conditions and plenty of room, she should be a long lived specimen.

:hat:

Thanks everyone! Not sure if we are going to go the tang, we both really like the spotted cardinal so we may end up with a couple of those :)

i would add this fish last !!! other wise will prob kill anything else ya add very very aggressive

the tang i had to pull mine out due to killing everything !! i rather have a biter than deal with the spikes on their tales

I have a yellow tang. I've had it for 2 weeks now. Is doing very good. I think they are hardy. He's in with a blue eyed tang and a niger trigger(I hate that fish).

these fish are mostly peaceful

I have a yellow tang and it gets on great with all my fish and just loves my scarlet shrimp. My only problem .....my live rock is now void of all life..Shame that.

I love my yellow tang!!! He is very healthy and happy in my reef. He adds a bright splash of color and is always out swimming. He does rule the tank though, I would add him last. I give him lots of nori on a clip. The good thing about yellow tangs is you can tell their health by looking at them. They should be bright yellow, not faded or skinny. :D

Well would i consider my Yellow Tang hardy.....Hmm well i would say mine is EXTREMELY hardy! They will get very aggressive towards other fish if introuduced first into the tank, definitly would add them last. Mine has survived 2 ich outbreaks the second time it was so bad his entire body was covered along with his fins and gills, he didnt look yellow but looked white. I surely thought he was going to die, but he LIVED. And is still alive today. I would have to say its one of the most "hardy" fish i have ever had. My mom purchased one online, with barely any water in the bag on arrival he was sideways in the bag. It looked as though a mac truck hit him his fins were all torn up also thought he was going to die for sure also, but hes still alive. I do agree to add them LAST for fish into a tank. HTH

I've had my Yellow Tang for 5 years already with no problems whatsoever. That is of course, because I've never tried to introduce any other tang into the tank. It also eats everything I've ever used for food, but it requires lots of greens. I highly recommend.

Back
Top Bottom