Pros and Cons of Hermits in Cleanup Crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, so I'm trying to decide if I should get a clean up crew with hermits in it, or leave them out. My stocklist is going to be:
1 Orange Lined Cardinalfish
1 Regular Ocellaris Clown
1 Black Ocellaris Clown
1 Possum Wrasse
6 Sexy Shrimp
Assorted Corals

Hermits are reef safe, aren't they? Are there any glaring problems with hermits and my planned stock list? I don't want the hermits so badly as to change my stocklist. It's either hermits work or they don't, I just need a little help deciding.

Oh, and this is my list of corals, in case it makes a difference:

Button Polyp
Lavender Mushroom
Green Florescent Mushroom
Thick finger Leather Coral
Candycane Coral
Brian Coral, Favites
Green Polyp Leather
Folded Brian Coral

The only drawback to hermits is that they often kill each other for their shells. :-( other than that they may crawl over a coral but they don't bother them or other fish.

carey said:
The only drawback to hermits is that they often kill each other for their shells. :-( other than that they may crawl over a coral but they don't bother them or other fish.

So I just need to have extra shells for them? Will that cutback on that problem, if it doesn't completely solve it?

It will def help if you have extra shells. It may not completely "cure" the problem but it will help

Okay. I think they are really neat, so I guess hermits are added to my plan! Thanks, Carey.

So here's a clean up package that I found:

20 astreas
1 trochus
5 scarlet hermits
10 Mexican blue leg hermits
1 emerald crab

How does that sound? It says for 10-20 gallons. I'm still looking at others, too.

crister13 said:
You could make your own at the lfs or LA.

I'm not good at choosing how many snails, etc. I actually found a pack at liveaquaria for a 30 gallon. I think I'll go with that. And the closest lfs that has saltwater is an hour away. And they don't have all that much for snails and stuff.

Cons: whenever I'd feed my LPS corals mysis shrimp, the hermit crabs would make their greatest attempts to rob the corals of their morsels.

Pro: they're fun to watch and cleanup well.

Con: rob food from lps corals and close corals up temporarily. Kill snails sometimes. Can get stuck and die seldomly

My hermits would kill snails for there shells all the time. I had spare shells, but they grew faster than expected. The remaining snails have doubled in size and i only got them in nov/dec to give you an idea how fast my hermits grew.

How new/old or clean/dirty is your tank? A full CUC right from the start may be overkill, resulting in starved CUC. We just added snails & hermits as needed. Just kinda went by feel as it seemed the tank needed more or could support more.

- D

Hey guys, I posted this in December, and have since done more research. I've decided that I'm getting a few hermits. But thanks for your input. :)

Back
Top Bottom