Protein Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ayesha97

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 gal tank and am looking for a good (yet affordable) protien skimmer. Does anyone have any experience with the SeaClone 100 or the Red Sea Prizm Hang-On Skimmer w/ Pump. They are the same price at a LFS. I don't have a lot of room for a non HOB skimmer. Any comments are welcomed!

I have decent success with the Prizm. It can be a little noisy and the adjustments are finicky but you get used to it after awhile. I have heard worse things about the seaclone but have never used one. I know most people will recommend a Aqua-C Remora, I believe they run about twice the price of a prizm ($165 or so) If you decide on the prizm, look for the deluxe model with a media basket and surface attachment. I know they sell it at thatfishplace.com HTH

Those skimmers IMO are no good. A CPR backpack or Remora would be good choices IMO.

we have a prizm on our 25 gal, and if i could i would replace it. it is getting pretty loud after 6 months, even with multiple cleanings, and it isnt really reliable at all. we'll get it adjusted and get good foam one day, the next we will not get any foam and the bubble line is way too low, and then all of a sudden it will just spill over and dump all the skimmate back into the tank.

i would look into a good cpr or remora as stated above. it will save you more money and stress in the long run.

I have a prizm. I would agree with those who say it is a finicky, but overall it is the right price and for a 20 gal you can't really complain.

Good luck in whatever you get.

Darin over at captivereefs.com who is one of the site sponsers would be the one to PM for info on skimmers. He will point you in the right direction. For me it was the Aqua C .. I love it however that may be a bit much for a 20 especially if you have no plans to upgrade in the near future.

Doan

Prizm would work well on a 20. I actually have a used one laying around if you are interested. PM me for details.

Back
Top Bottom