Protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barkdaddy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon tank with a sump/refugium. I'm looking to purchase a protein skimmer. The area that the protein skimmer would go has a water level of 10 inches. Most of the skimmers I've looked at recommend the water level be 4-7 inches where the skimmer sits. The only ones I've seen that have a reccomended depth of 10 or more inches are rated for tanks 200 to 300 gallons. I'm guessing that would be too much skimming for a 55 gallon tank. I was wondering if anybody had a suggestion on what I should do? Thank you.

Can never skim too much! Do 200 if you have to. Another option is, the reef octopus nwb150 calls for 9", you can make a small stand out of egg crate to boost it up out of the water...

I just got an eshopps 75 that recommends I believe 9 inches of water level

Thanks. I just wasn't sure about a skimmer rated for a 200 gallon tank being used on a 55 gallon. I thought the "rule" was not to go more than double your tank size.

Thanks. I just wasn't sure about a skimmer rated for a 200 gallon tank being used on a 55 gallon. I thought the "rule" was not to go more than double your tank size.

I think the rule was to make sure to do double, but going more cant hurt. I have a skimmer rated for 150 on my 40 gallon...

Back
Top Bottom