Protein Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquafreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do you leave your skimmer on all the time or just turn it on when you need to clean your tank? My container fills very, very quickly -- is there too much air? Thanks!

mine runs 24/7. If the container fills too quickly you need to adjust the air valve closed a bitt. Some skimmers require adjustment on a daily basis. my old prism went from collecting nothing to overflowing very easily, which is why I replaced it.
Good luck

Darb's right, you should run the skimmer 24/7 except during maintenance.
During the break-in period (first 2 weeks) you'll probably had to adjust it several times...but it does sound like you've got airflow too high or the collection cup is too low.

Is this, in fact, a Red Sea Prizm skimmer?

Thanks! It's actually a Turbo Floater 1000 (hang-on style). It has been getting too much air so I've fashoned a regulator on the air hose to help control the flow (from my Penguin PowerPro) You'd think they'd figure that out before marketing it. :?

when the skimmer's brand new it can be a little quirky. after teh break-in it should run more consistently. If the tank doesn't have fish in it, don't expect to get any dark skimmate in the collection cupt.

Back
Top Bottom