Protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

undercoverfarm5

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just some info about my tank it's 98 gallons I have two filters a heater and a protein skimmer! Also have two wave pumps that are active but no coral or anemone yet! Around 60-70lbs of live rock with live sand. Two clown fish and a soft damsel. Protein skimmer has been working really great but lately it hasn't been producing any suds. Idk if that's a good thing or a bad thing?? Algae is growing like crazy! I need some advice on what to get for that?? Also one of my clowns is acting a little strange and isn't really staying in the pair. He likes to be alone and seems to be hurt sometimes. Plz help

Algae issues are a result of nutrients in the water column.
With 'crazy' algae growth, you won't get an accurate reading on the nitrate/phosphate levels since they are consuming.
How often are you doing water changes? Are you using ro/di water? How often and how much are you feeding? Was the tank cycled?
I'll assume your clownfish is stressed due to the parameter issues going on in the system and is showing you that it is ill.
At the end of the day, the answer is large water changes with ro/di water. I'd also work on adjusting your skimmer so it is skimming again. During your water changes, manually remove as much algae as possible.

Thanks! I do need to do water change. The skimmer has been working but in the past two or three days i haven't been seeing little to none skim in the bowl. I was just wondering if it was Bc the water was doing a better job of being cleaner.

When i was running my small reef, i used about 1.5 lbs of rock per gallon, but other wise had the same scenario, with the exception of the algae problem.

My skimmer quit producing as well after about 6 months, but by that time, i had gained a bit more knowledge, and kept a closer eye on stocking and feeding, and my general maintenance chores as well (regular water changes etc.)

Perhaps your clowns are simply not interested in being a mated pair for whatever reason, but i also agree with Sniperhank on every point he made.

I also recommend you increase your maintenance (water changes) cut down on the groceries, and see if that improves your fishes and tanks lot in life.

Back
Top Bottom