Protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am guessing what your asking is how fast should the skimmer produce "skim' in your collection cup.

If this is the question then the answer is less than obvious. It really depends on your tank. If your tank has more DOC (Disolved Organic Comounds) then you will get 'bubbles' faster and have to dump your skimmer cup more often.

The skim liquid should be dark in color (between a dark tea and coffie color) and should have a very 'distinct' odor.

My skimmer pulls maybe 2 cups of liquid per week out of my 80 gal.

What kind of skimmer is it? The water flow should equal a minimum of 1 tank volume per hour, more is better, the air should be adjusted so that the bubbles in the water (rather than the foam that collects in the cup) are just at the base, to the beginning of the neck. In a new system you can expect a lighter effluent, as the DOC is removed the skimmer will become more efficient and the foam should become darker. If the cup is overflowing with bubbles and it is breaking dow to a clear fluid, back down the air some. If the foam, never actually makes it to the cup...increase the air flow.

I have an AquaC remora with a Maxi Jet 1200 and the collection cup fills too quickly. Can any medication, etc. make it fill up that fast?

TIA

Can any medication, etc. make it fill up that fast?

Yes there are many water conditioners that will cause a skimmer to go nuts as well as antibiotic meds. What meds have been used? It may simply need adjustment.

I think an important thing to remember is "Contact Time".

I often find people trying to put a larger pump than the manufactors put on them, in an attempt to "skimm more". While, in theory, this is true, one must way the factor of "more skimming" with "less contact time".

Just something to think about :mrgreen:

I have the collection cup all the way up, so I think it should make a dry foam when there is no medication :?: yet the one that it is making right now is very wet due to medication. :?:

Kevin,
The medication(s) used are MelaFix and Rally since that is all I could find at my LFS at the time.

AmekaAquatics.Com said:

I often find people trying to put a larger pump than the manufactors put on them, in an attempt to "skimm more". While, in theory, this is true, one must way the factor of "more skimming" with "less contact time".

What do you mean by contact time?

roadster3043 said:
AmekaAquatics.Com said:

What do you mean by contact time?

The faster the bubbles pass through your skimmer, the less 'contact time' they have. In all essance, the faster the water passes through, the less chance the bio-load has of making it into the collection cup. Sure, some will make it in, no matter what, but there comes a point where simply throwing more air/bubbles/flow does more bad than good.

Back
Top Bottom