Protein Skimmer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corys510

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey got a quesition I had to turn off my protein skimmer as it was getting the wall behind my tank wet and mildew or mold was growing my question is would it be ok to turn on the protein skimmer after sitting for a few months or should i wash it all out and 2 what can i put behind it to prevent this damage again?
Thanks

One suggestion I would have to use,, but first you would have to remove all equipment under and around your underside tank... is to use a product called kemlite. It would work the best to line the underside of the tank and silicone seal the seams. This would allow the whole area to be protected.
This is found in home depot or menard type stores.. it is fiberglass sheeting. Usually found around the paneling area. This makes it practically a no maintenance area.
Just an idea!
Micky07

I've also heard of people using a piece of think plexi-glass to cover the wall behind the tank to keep any stray splashes from damaging the drywall. You could even use some kind of attachment that would let you easily remove the plexi to clean it now and then.

I would also suggest dumping the stagnant water and cleaning that skimmer out before firing it up again.

Back
Top Bottom