Protein skimmer skims too wet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flanque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,

Unless I slow the flow rate down, my skimmer seems to collect mostly water. It doesn't seem to bias any particular time such as feeding having additives added.

I'd like to skim at the full rate if at all possible. I've tried changing the air intake valve too.

Ideas?

What kind of skimmer? What kind of adjustments are on it? Also, how long have you had it? They sometimes take a while to "break in".

Here's my tank at night. I run 6 LED's in the canopy to simulate moonlight at night. Its supposed to make corals propagate, and it lets me see some of the nocturnal creatures that come out.

What LEDs are these? Are they special marine ones or just regular blue LEDs with unregulated light spectrum output?

How did you rig it up?

I think your reply got posted to the wrong forum perhaps. Check the DIY section on moonlights for this information but I think they need to be in the 470-480 range. The one's you get from Radio Shack are overpriced and just out of the range of moonlight.

As far as the skimmer goes, I had the same problem with a new skimmer. Let it run on a lower setting where it doesn't overflow and as it breaks in, the foam should rise higher and into the cup. The breakin period is about a week for most skimmers from what I can tell.

I have an excaliber skimmer and mine did that for the first couple turns and then it did OK

I've had my skimmer for about nine months now... :-(

Back
Top Bottom