Protein Skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dinotrex

Aquarium Advice Regular
Which one is right for me? I have a 55 gallon tank. After a protein Skimmer, whats next? I already have heaters and substrate.... whats the next step? Am I ready for water yet?

For now, Fish only, I know I need a Protein Skimmer. I don't know if i'm reading this right but I can go with either live rock OR a external filter for filtration, whats more common and easier for beginners?

For sure get live rock. If you do not now you surely will later when you learn more. I got the external filter first then soon after bought the live rock once I got an education. The filter ended up being an unnessisary expense.

An Aqua C Remora skimmer with a Maxi Jet 1200 pump would do well on a 55g tank. The Remora Pro with a Mag 3 pump would be even better and would give you some room to move to a larger tank later if you wanted to. I would suggest a surface skimmer with either one as it will increase the efficiency of the skimmer.
I would go with LR instead of an external filter...about 1.5-2lbs per gallon.

I am currently running a 55g tank, here is what I have done.

When I started I had the following - HOB power filter, heater, powerhead. Worked fine, but water never cleaner up like id like. After a month I added the remora C skimmer. It worked nicely, but I had way too much (for my wifes visual taste) hanging from the back of the tank. No stability issues, just looked like hell. I added an overflow box, mag 7 pump and a 10 gal sump. After plumbing it all out and testing it I was very happy with the operation. Problem is, you got no room for error during a power outage with the 10 gal. After about 1 week went to a 20 gal rubbermaid container for a sump and the 10 gal tank became qt. Now the power filter is on the qt tank and all I have in my display is a power head and the overflow (and 80 lbs. lr). In my sump is a skimmer, return pump and heater. Changed the lights to 10k also, is much more appealing.

I am very happy with my setup as it is right now, the addition of a backdrop (dark blue, no pattern) was a nice touch (my wife is very big into appearances). Now I just have to wait one more week to get my fish out of qt. They are gonna think they were in an episode of Trading Spaces". :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom