Protein skimming question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hookman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey, I have a aqua-remora HOB, on a 8 1/2 old 55gal. It collects a lot of scum but also makes a lot of micro bubbles in my tank. Is it working well. There is also a collection of nasty stuff on the surface of the water. I have had the skimmer for at least 4 weeks and I clean the cup almost every day. Can I adjust this, I also plan on getting that surface skimmer thing for it. Thanks for any suggestions!!

There is also a collection of nasty stuff on the surface of the water.
I also plan on getting that surface skimmer thing for it. Thanks for any suggestions!!

The surface skimmer should remove the DOC that naturally forms where the air and the water meet, it is incidentally this quality in DOC that makes the skimmer work. One thing about the surface skimmer, they will work best with an auto top off system, the skimmer cup is dependant on the waterlevel in the tank, as it drops it could drop below the level of the teeth and not provide any water for your skimmer.

Hey, I have a aqua-remora HOB, on a 8 1/2 old 55gal. It collects a lot of scum but also makes a lot of micro bubbles in my tank. Is it working well.

If it's collecting scum, then it's working, the bubbles should slow down after awhile, the surface skimmer will help with that, since it has a bubble trap, but as it breaks in and slimes up more and more the bubbles will slow. I've had mine for a few months and still get some micro bubbles (no surface skimmer...no room for one), but they become fewer and fewer week by week. You can adjust it, by raising the collection cup up and down via the Oring that is on the cup. The higher the cup, the dryer the foam and a smaller volume will be produced.

Back
Top Bottom