Protien Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwright

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is there a particular age for an aquarium when a protien skimmer becomes necessary? I have read opinions on this both ways so wanted some of your input.

2nd question are there stand alone protein skimmers, meaning I could place it under the aquarium without a sump or is my only option a HOB skimmer?

I have setup a 130 gallon fowlr (50lbs so far) it has been running for almost 4 months now. I have 1/2 a dozen scarlet hermits, 2 blue knuckle hermits, 2 percula clowns, 2 yellow tail damsels, and a royal gramma, along with 4 trochus snails and 4 Turbos. I have my eye on a blue ringed angel that is at my LFS, he has been there for 3 weeks and if still there this weekend I am going to purchase and place in quarantine.

jwright said:
Is there a particular age for an aquarium when a protien skimmer becomes necessary? I have read opinions on this both ways so wanted some of your input.
Not really. It depends on the amount of waste producing life that's in the tank as well as your feedings. Skimmers are great at keeping water quality in check but if there's no DOC or other excess nutrient to remove as yet then you can easily hold off. The best indication would be hard to control/high nitrates and/or slicks at the waters surface. At 4 months and stock additions climbing it might be a good time to start at least considering one although you may still not need one I would be prepared for the possibility.

Also keep in mind that a skimmer is not a must and other methods can be employed but IMO, the skimmer would be the easiest route for a 130 gal.

2nd question are there stand alone protein skimmers, meaning I could place it under the aquarium without a sump or is my only option a HOB skimmer?
I wish but unfortunately no. Skimmers are either HOB or require a refugium or sump. They need something to empty into and are not plumbable (<that a word?) to directly return to the tank.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks,

I am looking at the dual cpr bak pak2 and the aquac remora pro skimmers, both are hob skimmers (I currently do not have a sump) for up to 120 gal tanks. Do you think that is enough for a tank my size or will I require a larger skimmer as the tank ages and the fish grow. Most reviews, the skimmers are getting used on 90 gal tanks and smaller. So I am a little hesitant - larger skimmers seem to require a sump which I am not against but will take some time to rework the tank.

Again thanks you have been extremely helpful.

Of the skimmers you mentioned, I would go with the Remora Pro. IMO, it will be sufficient for your tank although you could get much more power from an in sump model. I would get it with the Mag 3 pump.

I wouldn't use a BakPak on a 130 gal. They are very good for smaller tanks but not one that big. The Remora pro with the Mag 350 upgrade would be the bare minimum as far as a HOB model is concerned. You would actually be better off with a Turboflotor Multi for that size tank only problem there is the height is 22". If you are ever going to consider a sump, the good thing is the multi can be used there as well.

Do you ever plan on moving towards a reef in the future? If so, I wouldn't skimp on the skimmer with something that would get by. Buy for your future plans, not the current needs. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Sorry to piggyback on your link, but it's a related question and may also help you out if you ever do get a sump. I've got a 200 gal FO tank and am looking for skimmer. What is the best brand you would recommend? Are there some types that actually go in the sump and some others that you can just plumb to your sump? Either would be fine with me. What is the Turboflotor Multi you talked about?

The only reason I recommended the Turbofloater multi is a HOB was needed for a larger tank of which there are very few good ones. When using a sump, there are many great options both insump and plumbed inline.

For a 200 gallon, I would suggest either an Aqua C EV, Euro Reef ES8 or Tunze 230. There are many more but they are a good place to start. Others will have preferences as well.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom