Protien Skimmer Advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dooker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Are the Prism or Seaclone 100 good skimmers for a small FOLR set up, the reason I ask is because I can get either from a friend brand new for $35. I have a 20gal setup. Thanks

I like my Bakpak, heard the Remora is better though. The preskimmer box makes it more efficient but it takes up valuable real estate. The grass is always greener...

For the price they are good. Both the backpak and the remora are more expensive. Upward to 2X as expensive. For a 20 gal tank the prizm will take up the least amount of intake realestate. Add a 10gal sump to the system and you can then put the skimmer on the sump and wont have to worry about the space it takes.

You may want to purchase the prism for the 35 bucks and later upgrade to a better skimmer.

I have a CPR Bak Pak 2R which I like alot. Along with the pre-skimmer box, it works very effeciently, but like phases99 said, the box does take up valuable real estate. (although it does hide that nasty pump and the tubes and wires.)

I ultimatly chose it over the remora because the remora uses a waterfall style return and I felt a return tube would ultimately be quiter. The only problem is that they are about 100 bucks more than what you would be paying for your friends old skimmer.

If you think it'll be years and years before you upgrade to a larger tank, then get teh prism.
If you think in a year you might trade up to a 55gallon...get the CPR.

Back
Top Bottom