Protien Skimmer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpEd

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can someone describe for me the purpose of a protein skimmer?

I am new to saltwater (several years with freshwater). I have a 75 gallon tank, 2 Ehiem canister filters, a power head for circulation, and my lighting consist of 4 VHO (2 white, 2 blue). I currently have about 40 lbs of live rock, 2 damsels, 2 clowns, 1 blue tang, 1 engineer goby, and a small assortment of snails, and crabs. The tank has been cycled for about 6 months now, and everything seems to be doing fine. I am fighting an on and off battle with brown algea.

I am interested in adding some soft corals at some point, and just wanted to know what a protein skimmer does, how do you know if you need one, and approximate cost for one in a 75 gallon tank.

Thanks

Basically, a protein skimmer is used to collect protein, waste, left over food, and a lot of other garbage in the water itself. If you ever have the chance to see the full collection cup of gunk, you will be glad you got one. Nasty stuff. I beleive every SW tank should have one. It will help keep your tank a lot healthier. Depending on what type of skimmer you want, they can range anywhere from $60 - $400. I would get the biggest one you can afford. This is one of the most important pieces to the SW puzzle.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom