PS in sump or HOB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilostnemo

Aquarium Advice Addict
okay so im setting up a 55 gallon reef. i was thinking about doing a sump with refuge for some macro algae and have the protein skimmer in there. well i was thinking could i get a hob protein skimmer and a hob refuge? if so where can i buy a hob refuge?

well i was looking at a stand at petsmart and it wouldnt have room for a 20 long sump like i was planning. i could maybe throw a ten gallon in there but id just be a refuge and couldnt house the PS and also the sump would about be the same price as the HOB refuge after buying the tank dividers and pvc and pump. the pump im looking at is 100 its self so thats why i maybe thought about hob.

in my 2g nano i have a hob filter with macro and filter floss and my nitrates are at 0. i wonder if i could do that with this tank..

I'm sure you could do it with the 55G tank.. it would probably just be harder since you have to account for 53 more gallons lol.

I say skip the refugium and focus more on a decent sized sump and a good protein skimmer. Many of the newer reef setups do not have refugiums.

haha yeah.. i cant really decide on which to do.. ive thought about gettin a marineland penguin biowheel 350 and putting the macro in there with a light over top. im thinking the 350 gph would work with that i could probably do smaller. cause my powerheads are going to be two 180 tamm rio plus's (only 120 gph dunno why its called 180 lol) and 2 hydor koralia 2s (680 gph) for a total of 1600 gph movement 29x since itll be full reef with fish :)

but the refuge would keep nitrAtes down which would help coral right?

So will a good protein skimmer and being good about doing your patial water changes. You honestly don't need it. Look at some of the SPS coral (hardest coral to keep alive and colored up) in my tank from my build thread.

well then ill go with just a PS and go ahead and by the RO/DI unit instead of hauling 20 gallons at a time back and forth lol.. now with the PS i shouldnt run it during the cycle right?

I completely agree with ryshark on the not needing a refugium nowadays. I've seen a couple discussions online about how you could accomplish the desired effects of a refugium, just by having a sump with a really good protein skimmer for starters, and then the sump would also make it easier for you to use media reactors, calcium reactors, etc..

I still prefer the use of a fuge... i think it's a cool way to bring water quality up, and still have something fun to look at while it grows out. Plus the benefits of having tons of pods and any other critters you want to try to harvest lol. If i had a bigger tank, or a bigger place to put a bigger tank to use as a sump, i would definitely make one section for a protein skimmer and any other reactors i could think of, and then one section for a BIG refugium. Almost like a second tank haha. That's my dream sump lol.

Anyways, i think either one you choose would be good, just as long as you use one. There are benefits in both.

ive think ive decided on a hob protein skimmer and a 10 or 15 gallon fuge. that way ill have both. or if i build a stand ill use probably a 20 high for a fuge and a 10 for the protein skimmer or i thought about a 30 gallon

Some people will tell you to keep your skimmer off during your cycle because it will slow the cycle. It's up to you really. IMO, I'd run it during the cycle so once your cycle is finished, it's already passed the break in period, and besides, it's all about the patience in this hobby.

I guess I miss the purpose of the refuge/sump discussion. I have a middle chamber for macro/sand/lr/mangroves, chamber 1 for drain and skimmer and chamber 3 for return. Why do you think it's an either/or proposition? They all will grow just fine in a "sump". Don't get caught up in the vernacular hype or the 'it has to be this way'..errrr stuff(?) Last I saw in the ocean God didn't make a separate area with 'low flow' for his macro to grow.

Last edited:
lol thanks ahab. i want both for sure. not just one. i mean this is my first big saltwater set up and i wanna do it well :)

I've read and re-read this thread...I'm so confused about the sump, refugium, protein skimmer - need or not need - only if you have corals or fish only tanks...

Back
Top Bottom