Pulsing Zenia Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a healthy Frog Spawn, Brite Green Stars, Green Buttons, Sun Coral, Pearl Bubble, Brown Mushroom.

I only use RO/DI and am running a CoralLife PC on a 46gal. Using a ProClear 75 and large HOB, plus 2 powerheads.

But for whatever reason, my Pulsing Zenia always wither and die. Are they sensative to anything in particular?

I wish I could give you a more definitive answer but...Xenia remains very much of a mystery coral. It will thrive in one tank and die in another with exact water parameters. For some reason, it will thrive in tank's with poor water parameters and not do well in another with perfect parameters. There is not real rhythm or reason to it. Buying captive breed Xenia seems to increase your luck. Also, the addition of iodine to the tank has been found to greatly increase the health of some Xenia species. I have actually had colonys grow and spread so fast I fragged it and gave it to the LFS. Later, for what ever reason, the entire colony died. I slowly replaced it and now it is thriving again...go figure.

Like lando I have no answers either.. had some it did great for a while then died off.. ?? Got some more it was not good at first then took off then my Rusty angel liked it too much.. Moved it into my 55 and it was gone fast..I gave up on buying it, now if I can get some on a trade or free I put it in the tank.. I just got 2 small frags last week and put them in my 15 gal frag tank., and I got 2 pulsing xenia hitch hikers on a zoa rock.. well see how they do?? Not holding my breath for them.

I started off with a small frag. 1 stock with the 3 pulsing hands on it. Now it has split into 7 stocks and over 100 hands. They are growing far too quickly and i am afraid it is going to take over. So i am going to start fragging this thing and put them on the Barter/Trade section of the forums. All i can say is when my water parameters was at its worse, my pulsing xenia was growing like weeds. lando is right. This is a mystery coral and does thrive in poor water. I was adding lugols solution (iodine drops). That stuff works magic. Try it out.

artoledo said:
I was adding lugols solution (iodine drops). That stuff works magic. Try it out.
Make sure you buy a test kit for iodine/iodide, so you don't overdose your tank.

roka64 said:
artoledo said:
I was adding lugols solution (iodine drops). That stuff works magic. Try it out.
Make sure you buy a test kit for iodine/iodide, so you don't overdose your tank.

Sorry about that. I shouldve said you needed to test. Before you add anything to your tank, make sure you can test for it.

I have had stages where xenia has crazy growth and then I can't keep it. Now it is growing again ...

weird stuff

Back
Top Bottom