Pump recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdaccord03

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have an Aquarium Systems HOB protein skimmer. It is about 15-18" tall and has a diameter of roughly 3.5". I was looking at the Rio 600V (the one designed for skimmers) to pump this thing from aquadirect.com. Does anyone have any advice? Is this skimmer too big? Too small? THanks in advance.

JimW

I have heard bad things about rios in general. There are many people on this site that say they have a bad problem with going bad at the most inopportune times. I have a similar skimmer and it uses a ph that pumps 375gph and it works great.

I have not heard great things about Rio either. I actually have one on the skimmer in my sump and it does require some attention. It clogs easily. when it gives out completely, I will find another brand.

Rio pumps over all have a bad rep for not starting back up after turning them off. This is often the case on PH's that have been running for a while. Often if you take them out and break them down and clean them up they will run again for a period of time until you need to clean them again. I cant say the same for maxijet. Maxijet PH's seem to run forever with out the need to clean them. Of corse cleaning them will help their performance as gunk collects on the impeller and shaft but maxijets almost never just out of the blue fail to start.

Back
Top Bottom