Pumping xenia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxnonamexx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a Green/White Pumping Xenia and it looks droopy where should it be placed? Any info greatlt appreciated. Thanks

Xenia do well anywhere in the tank as long as it has a strong current on it. They grow upwards so putting it on the bottom of the tank will allow it to grow upwards to contain it leave it at the top of the tank. Many will tell you though Xenia are very weird corals, in some tanks it takes off like weeds and in an identical tank it will die shortly after putting it in. HTH

Xenia do well anywhere in the tank as long as it has a strong current on it

Depends what you mean by strong. My idea of strong current would never allow Xenia to stand upright. Mine sways in the turbulence formed by two PHs aimed at each other and it pumps like crazy. To me, that's "moderate" current.

My Xenia are directly in the path of a -tiny- powerhead. They do not rest horizontally due to flow, so I'd saw moderate current. They're under MHs and have acclimated wonderfully. I have so many now (started with 2) that they drown each other out for light. I'll be trimming them soon. :) Anyways, they like a decent amount of light, MH not required, and they like to have flow. Mine have always done excellent in that spot, and they're now spreading across the tank.
Sooo...
1. Light - they like it...don't be too afraid to give them too much. Mine thrive under a 250w 10,000K MH
2. Flow - they like a decent amount of it. They like to gently sway in the currents, and they do indeed like moderate flow.
3. Height - They don't seem to care. I have them growing on top of a rock, with their tips 4" from the surface, all the way down the sides and front of that rock to where one touches the substrate with his stalk. If I had to pick, I'd go wherever they can get some decent light and a moderate flow, and that location is probably perfect.

Back
Top Bottom