pumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marinelife

Aquarium Advice Regular
I upgraded my chiller and it needs 12min/25max water flow to work correctly, I have a few pumps that I can use so I do not have buy any ( I hope) but I am not sure if they will work, I have a C-AO pump that runs 70 liters per minute max capacity and with 6 meters max head and Little Giant that run at 1000gph at 3 foot head. What is happening is I set up a new sump. It is up on a stand with a bulkhead toward the bottom, I connected a pipe to it and it drains down about 3 foot into the pump then the pump pushes the water side ways about a foot into the chiller then up about 5-6 feet and over the top of the sump. Do you guys think this will get me my 12/25 water flow? Right now the C-AO one is hooked up. Should I buy a bigger pump or will this one of these work. The sump is high because it is gravity feed into another sump that then is gravity feed back into the main tanks sump. I am just not sure since the one is made outside the US, I think I am figuring the flow correct but wanted to get with you guys to see what you think

Do they mean 12/25GPH? Dang thats very slow. I dont use chillers so I dotn know how water is to flow thru them.

If your running water thru the chiller and back to the tank I highly doubt your only pumping at 12/25GPH. IMO to get that slow of a flow rate you need to run it in a closed loop from the sump or from the main tank. And not run it inline.

yes 12/25 gph, it is on its own system. I am wondering if any of the two pump will get the needed flow with the water coming out of the pump going sideways 1 foot into the chiller then up about 5-6 feet

At 25gph your pump would have to push a measly .4 gal per minute. I can guarintee you your probably seeing more than that out of your pumps. A rate that low would be a virtual trickle compaired to the flow rates comming out of most sumps back to the tank.

A maxijet 1200 pumps more than that a 6' head.

OH ok. Well 25GPM = 1500GPH and 12GPM = 720GPH. Your little giant should do 720GPH at the head you specified but it would be best to look up the model number and see what their headheight chart shows.

I ran a test by pumping the water into a 5 gallon bucket and timed it, I got around 20 seconds to fill it, so it looks like I am getting around 15gpm which should be fine, it is a Little Giant 3mdqx which does 1000gph at 3foot

Back
Top Bottom