pumps and overflows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NJDevilsWinCup

Aquarium Advice Regular
k i got a 33 gal sw aquarium and ive been wanting to get a sump to add more stabiliy since my tank is small. i dont know how to calulate the head loss and gph for the return pump. does wat overflow and pump that will work well together? i want about 300gph.

Size your overflow to flow more water than your pump will output. Different pumps will lose different amounts of GPH at a given headheight so its best to just look at the various pumps and see what they output at the headheight your going to have. I would say start looking at the mag5 as a start. That should give about 300GPH at 4' head if I remember correctly.

Are you making your own overflow? If your buying one they will have a max flowrate on them.

Actually Lando has given me one. So I know nothing about it yet. :oops: I guess I'll wait until it gets here before I buy the pump. Thanks.

Do you know the make of the overflow?

Most U tube overflows with a 1" drain will be able to support upward to 600-700GPH flow. If its a C shell style overflow then it might be sized smaller.

FF,

Got the overflow yesterday, No markings on it but I'll try and post a picture of it later. (letf the camera in the van) :oops: I do, however" now understand how this is gonna work. Just need to amek sure the pump is the right size. :mrgreen:

Wow, that was fast! They told me at the post office it would take until the end of hte week. Glad you got it. The overflow box is left over from my Por-clear 150 sump. I did not need the external overflow as I bought a reef ready tank. I misplaced the directions...probably right into the garbage at one point...and there is little info on the web about this company. No website that I can find. Herre is the phone number...Pro Clear Aquatic Systems 904-448-6800. They are from Jacksonville, FL. They build a very good sump, just wish they offered better on-line support. Maybe if you called them they could email you some directions.
Basically, I sent the inner overflow box, u-tube, the outter box with plumbing fixture and the over-the-back return spout. Good Luck...Lando

I sure do appreciate the overflow. Thank you. The offer still stands for at least shipping payment. :mrgreen:

No problem, just put it to good use. Shipping is on me. Post some pics when you get it up and running...Lando

This filter is rated for aquariums up to 150 gallons, and flow rates of up to 600 gallons per hour.

I found this on google about the pro-clear 150. If the U tube is 1" in diamater and the return line is 1" in size then yes the overflow will support a flow of upward to 600GPH just fine.

I have a lift of a little over 4 ft with one 90 degree angle at the top and the Mag 7 does great for me. It has enought force to create a very nice current in the tank as well.

So if I use a mag 7, then do I still need the powerheads? or can I make my tank look really good with just the overflow in it?

I have a 72 gal. BF and I think that the current from the output from my sump would be enouh, but I do have a power sweep (whatever the biggest model is) also creating a moving current. I know the reviews on the power sweepa re mixed, but I have had two and no problems with either. I figure that for about $30 if it craps out after a year or two, I got my money's worth.

I also have a powersweep and it's blowing water out all around the "pivitor" or what ever you want to call it. :roll: The overflow I'm gonna be using has a "swivel" head? does it move while discharging the water?

I do not think the overflow return rotates, but I have never seen it in action so I am not sure.

Back
Top Bottom