Purple Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EricL

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I see other tanks live rock , there is a purple algae on 99.9% of them. What is this and do I want it?

You need a rock with coralline to "seed" the tank then maintain proper levels of ca, alk and mag and keep phosphate and nitrate levels down.

Is This OK

I just purchased some live rock with Coraline algae ( sorry for the quality of pics ) and I did not even think about my puffer and hermit crabs. Are they going to be a problem?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 73
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 74
I agree, the puffer will munch on your LR to file down his fused teeth, but it should not be an issue.

Coralline algea. As the others said it`s good stuff. Your LR has some good on it. It should seed the rest pretty good.

I have used some additives in the past to "speed up" the Coraline growth. The best one was purple something or another...sorry can't remember the exact name. Otherwise patience will provide.

It's called purple up. I prefer to do the natural way and not dose my tanks unless I really need to.

I agree with Scott. Additives are not the way to go, Just seed it with some more coralline

Back
Top Bottom