Purple fleshy algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

begginersluck

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys,

For some time now I have had this odd looking substance growing on my rock. Could anyone advise what it is please and what is it caused by? Also tips to eradicate it would be great.

TIA [emoji4]IMG_1034.jpg

is it slimy and come off if you blow it with a blaster? if not I still say it may be a sponge. if cyno increase flow in that area or use chemiclean make sure you airerate with an air stone

It comes off pretty easy. It’s all over my live rock and I’m pretty sure it’s Cyano bacteria. Not sure about chemiclean, is it reef safe?

yes it is reef safe follow instructions to a T try to siphon as much out as you can with a turkey blaster first if possible. I nave used it a few times in my mixed reef 120g

It comes off pretty easy. It’s all over my live rock and I’m pretty sure it’s Cyano bacteria. Not sure about chemiclean, is it reef safe?

No reason to use chemi clean just up the wc size and frequency for a while and reduce feeding to every 3 days and manually siphon it out during. And if it’s that high up on the rock work you probably don’t have enough flow in the system.

No reason to use chemi clean just up the wc size and frequency for a while and reduce feeding to every 3 days and manually siphon it out during. And if it’s that high up on the rock work you probably don’t have enough flow in the system.

I don't think I could have put it any better myself. You'll sometimes see some cyano develop between the branches on corals since they start blocking flow as they grow. Can simply blow it out of there and continue on most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom