Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-01-2018, 10:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
savannafish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 180
Purple frilly?

I have been looking for macroalgaes to put in my soon to be seahorse tank and I came about purple frillys. I thought it was a coral but I found it on a website that sells macro algaeís ( https://www.live-plants.com/ ). Is it an algae or a coral? And if it is a coral would it be ok to put in a seahorse tank.
__________________

__________________
savannafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
coralbandit's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Saratoga,NY
Posts: 6,920
Thinking it is a coral.
A gorgonian ?

Quick search of 'purple frilly gorgonian' turns up your very site..
https://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=A0LEVy...TeL5Yp8SSIym4-
__________________

__________________
Mr.bandit is my YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcS...zPAhmB9QK0UvMA
https://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...er&Coralbandit
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
savannafish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
Thinking it is a coral.

A gorgonian ?



Quick search of 'purple frilly gorgonian' turns up your very site..

https://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=A0LEVy...TeL5Yp8SSIym4-


Ok thank you!! Do u think it would be ok to put with seahorses?
__________________
savannafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bribo12's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,377
Should be fine
__________________
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
savannafish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
Should be fine


I was reading that it needs a ďmoderate to high flowĒ....I have a 120 gph pump do u think that would be enough? I also only have the lights from my hood that came with my tank as a light so u think that would be enough? My macro algae grow in well with it but again Iím that familiar with corals.
__________________
savannafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bribo12's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,377
I doubt thatís enough light. Itís probably just a flourescent bulb right? The flow is probably ok but youíd need to upgrade lights.
__________________
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
savannafish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
I doubt thatís enough light. Itís probably just a flourescent bulb right? The flow is probably ok but youíd need to upgrade lights.


Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1517533420.776210.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	306806Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1517533430.717126.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	306807
I believe they r led.. I do have another light could I just attach that onto it?
__________________
savannafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
savannafish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 180
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1517533516.184886.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	306808

Just this small light I donít know how many wattage it is Iíd have to look back at my searched on amazon
__________________
savannafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:49 PM   #9
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,072
These basic LEDs or bulbed units simply don't do well enough to support corals IMO.
There used to be quite the community of people who loved these tanks but would have loads of DIY modifications for them.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
savannafish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
These basic LEDs or bulbed units simply don't do well enough to support corals IMO.
There used to be quite the community of people who loved these tanks but would have loads of DIY modifications for them.


What can I do to make it stronger? I was going to put a green tree coral in my tank...is is not strong enough for it?
__________________
savannafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:02 PM   #11
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,072
You can't make them stronger, it would require replacement.
It might be enough for a kenya tree family...but only due to the photosynthetic members of the family being borderline invasive.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:08 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
savannafish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
You can't make them stronger, it would require replacement.
It might be enough for a kenya tree family...but only due to the photosynthetic members of the family being borderline invasive.


Could I add some lights? But ok thx!! I will probably just stick to the tree corals then
__________________
savannafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:05 AM   #13
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,072
You can...though that isn't in my range of knowledge. That was all the DIY crowd that loved these cubes. There might be some stuff in the DIY or nano forums...I just don't remember where it all was. They'd replace the lights in them and keep the same hood.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:14 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
savannafish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
You can...though that isn't in my range of knowledge. That was all the DIY crowd that loved these cubes. There might be some stuff in the DIY or nano forums...I just don't remember where it all was. They'd replace the lights in them and keep the same hood.


Ahhh ok that makes sense. Do u know the price range of a good set of light? And where I could possibly get some?
__________________
savannafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:01 AM   #15
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,072
The change need knock off panel will be fine. Like 100 bucks.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:03 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
savannafish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
The change need knock off panel will be fine. Like 100 bucks.


Alrighty thank you!
__________________
savannafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:30 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
savannafish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
The change need knock off panel will be fine. Like 100 bucks.


So I have been doing some research on the different types of wattage and lights and I do not understand what the 6700k mean...could u explain this to me? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2282.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	306895
__________________
savannafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:45 PM   #18
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,072
Don't follow watts per gallon, that is garbage. Even the LED panels that have 3w per diode isn't a good measure of the lighting being provided.
In general, you are looking for PAR and PUR. Par is much more common to be seen, with pur being a more accurate reading on what your coral will need. These meters are expensive.
When you see things talking about the kelvin of lighting, we are talking more about the spectrum of light. If you remember having light go through a prism the first time to make a rainbow, it is exactly that.
Start out with this. Stick as hard as possible to BRS for your knowledge here. There is a ton of misinformation out there that people still believe. When I went through their videos, even with an established reef going at that time I learned something.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video...read-spectrum/
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:27 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
savannafish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Don't follow watts per gallon, that is garbage. Even the LED panels that have 3w per diode isn't a good measure of the lighting being provided.
In general, you are looking for PAR and PUR. Par is much more common to be seen, with pur being a more accurate reading on what your coral will need. These meters are expensive.
When you see things talking about the kelvin of lighting, we are talking more about the spectrum of light. If you remember having light go through a prism the first time to make a rainbow, it is exactly that.
Start out with this. Stick as hard as possible to BRS for your knowledge here. There is a ton of misinformation out there that people still believe. When I went through their videos, even with an established reef going at that time I learned something.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video...read-spectrum/


That video was super helpful thank you for sharing!! Itís all starting to make sense now...I was originally going to stick to Kenya tree corals (mainly because thatís what they had at my local sw fish store) and I think I will stick to them due cost of lighting. I read that tree corals need about 80-150 par, does that seem about right? I found some lights on amazon because I was having a hard time finding an actual fish store online that is affordable for a 15 year old lol. Again thank you so much for the advise and video super super helpful!!!
__________________
savannafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:11 AM   #20
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,072
I'm not sure at all what the number would be as I don't own and can't afford a par meter to measure exactly.
Usually your soft and polyp corals are your low end of the lighting spectrum.
__________________

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
purple

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Green Frilly Mushroom PurplePolyp Saltwater Reef Aquaria 13 01-09-2013 03:42 PM
it said purple chromis.. but its not purple and it doesn look like a chromis... juice28 Saltwater & Reef - Identification 13 12-03-2009 06:10 AM
purple frilly gone bad?? leftys4js Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 5 03-11-2005 09:51 AM
Purple Frilly Gorgonians leftys4js Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 2 03-11-2005 09:27 AM
frilly mushroom? waffleman Saltwater & Reef - Identification 0 08-17-2004 10:32 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.