Purple frilly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

savannafish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been looking for macroalgaes to put in my soon to be seahorse tank and I came about purple frillys. I thought it was a coral but I found it on a website that sells macro algae’s ( https://www.live-plants.com/ ). Is it an algae or a coral? And if it is a coral would it be ok to put in a seahorse tank.

Should be fine

I was reading that it needs a “moderate to high flow”....I have a 120 gph pump do u think that would be enough? I also only have the lights from my hood that came with my tank as a light so u think that would be enough? My macro algae grow in well with it but again I’m that familiar with corals.

I doubt that’s enough light. It’s probably just a flourescent bulb right? The flow is probably ok but you’d need to upgrade lights.

I doubt that’s enough light. It’s probably just a flourescent bulb right? The flow is probably ok but you’d need to upgrade lights.

IMG_1517533420.776210.jpgIMG_1517533430.717126.jpg
I believe they r led.. I do have another light could I just attach that onto it?

IMG_1517533516.184886.jpg

Just this small light I don’t know how many wattage it is I’d have to look back at my searched on amazon

These basic LEDs or bulbed units simply don't do well enough to support corals IMO.
There used to be quite the community of people who loved these tanks but would have loads of DIY modifications for them.

These basic LEDs or bulbed units simply don't do well enough to support corals IMO.
There used to be quite the community of people who loved these tanks but would have loads of DIY modifications for them.

What can I do to make it stronger? I was going to put a green tree coral in my tank...is is not strong enough for it?

You can't make them stronger, it would require replacement.
It might be enough for a kenya tree family...but only due to the photosynthetic members of the family being borderline invasive.

You can't make them stronger, it would require replacement.
It might be enough for a kenya tree family...but only due to the photosynthetic members of the family being borderline invasive.

Could I add some lights? But ok thx!! I will probably just stick to the tree corals then

You can...though that isn't in my range of knowledge. That was all the DIY crowd that loved these cubes. There might be some stuff in the DIY or nano forums...I just don't remember where it all was. They'd replace the lights in them and keep the same hood.

You can...though that isn't in my range of knowledge. That was all the DIY crowd that loved these cubes. There might be some stuff in the DIY or nano forums...I just don't remember where it all was. They'd replace the lights in them and keep the same hood.

Ahhh ok that makes sense. Do u know the price range of a good set of light? And where I could possibly get some?

The change need knock off panel will be fine. Like 100 bucks.

So I have been doing some research on the different types of wattage and lights and I do not understand what the 6700k mean...could u explain this to me? IMG_2282.jpg

Don't follow watts per gallon, that is garbage. Even the LED panels that have 3w per diode isn't a good measure of the lighting being provided.
In general, you are looking for PAR and PUR. Par is much more common to be seen, with pur being a more accurate reading on what your coral will need. These meters are expensive.
When you see things talking about the kelvin of lighting, we are talking more about the spectrum of light. If you remember having light go through a prism the first time to make a rainbow, it is exactly that.
Start out with this. Stick as hard as possible to BRS for your knowledge here. There is a ton of misinformation out there that people still believe. When I went through their videos, even with an established reef going at that time I learned something.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/week-21-led-reef-lighting-tuning-par-spread-spectrum/

Don't follow watts per gallon, that is garbage. Even the LED panels that have 3w per diode isn't a good measure of the lighting being provided.
In general, you are looking for PAR and PUR. Par is much more common to be seen, with pur being a more accurate reading on what your coral will need. These meters are expensive.
When you see things talking about the kelvin of lighting, we are talking more about the spectrum of light. If you remember having light go through a prism the first time to make a rainbow, it is exactly that.
Start out with this. Stick as hard as possible to BRS for your knowledge here. There is a ton of misinformation out there that people still believe. When I went through their videos, even with an established reef going at that time I learned something.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/week-21-led-reef-lighting-tuning-par-spread-spectrum/

That video was super helpful thank you for sharing!! It’s all starting to make sense now...I was originally going to stick to Kenya tree corals (mainly because that’s what they had at my local sw fish store) and I think I will stick to them due cost of lighting. I read that tree corals need about 80-150 par, does that seem about right? I found some lights on amazon because I was having a hard time finding an actual fish store online that is affordable for a 15 year old lol. Again thank you so much for the advise and video super super helpful!!!

I'm not sure at all what the number would be as I don't own and can't afford a par meter to measure exactly.
Usually your soft and polyp corals are your low end of the lighting spectrum.

Back
Top Bottom