Purple Linckia Star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bouch097

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently added a Purple Linckia Star (or so I'm told that's what it is, so who knows). I have noticed from time to time the end of a tentacle will bulb up, then later will be back to normal. The below picture is what I just saw, and I'm not sure if it's waste, or if it's trying to spawn. Thanks in advance for your input.

Attachments

• star_965.jpg
    star_965.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 199
Well, it's back to normal now. Can anyone tell me what it was doing? Thanks in advance.

I've never seen anything like it but that has to be the most beautiful star I've ever seen! Great color. Post a pic of the whole thing when you get a chance! Enjoy! How long have you had it?

When that bubble stuff goes away at the end of the foot what does it look like? Is it clean and undamaged looking? I would think that if they were going to expel waste that they would do that from their mouth and not a foot. But know *nothing* about stars.

Where can I buy a purple or pink linkia? I can only find the blue ones!

How much can I expect to pay... they're reef safe, correct?

Thanks Phyl. I agree. I've only had it for 3 or 4 days, which is why I would really like to find out what it was doing when I took that picture. If there is something wrong with it, I'd like to try to fix it. However, it seems to be acting perfectly healthy. When I took the first pic, the substance was actually coming out of two of the tentacles. In this attached picture, the tentacles pointing to the 2 o'clock and 7 o'clock positions were the ones that had the substance coming out of them. Right now, as in this pic, you can still see a tiny bit of it still hanging from the 7 o'clock tentacle, which the 2 o'clock tentacle now appears clean and back to normal. I will attach a better pic of the 2 o'clock tentacle in a minute.

Attachments

• picture_013b.jpg
    picture_013b.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 365
Schoeplein,

See, that's the problem I'm coming across. I still don't know, for a fact, that this IS a Purple Linckia (I've also seen it listed on websites as a "Purple Linkia, as did the LFS... I don't think there is a difference). Most of the research I have done only found that not much is known about them at this time. Also, that commonly, items marked in LFS's as Purple Linckia's, are mis-identified. Yet, none of the websites mentioned an accurate way to tell what I have. All they told me is that it needs to be acclimated very slowly (I dripped for over 5 hours to be on the safe side). It was pretty inexpensive, considering it's beauty. I bought it for $33, and then got 20% off of that w/ a coupon the LFS was running. They also, assumed it was reef safe, but I think mainly b/c it isn't a "knobby" star.

Hopefully, someone can help me out here.

Attachments

• picture_014b.jpg
    picture_014b.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 83
The size and shape determine what kind of star it is. Pretty sure it fits under the "linkia" section.... now where to buy one.

I want a pink one!

Looks like a Tamaria stria, often sold as a "purple linkia" or sometimes burgundy.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks... Any idea on how to tell the difference, or what that crap was coming out of his arm?

I don't know how to tell the difference in linkia species but, the leg looks like your star is beginning to melt. I had a blue one do it. I believe what you are seeing is it's suction cups. Mine did this for almost two weeks before the limb turned white and the entire star went bad and died. I can't be sure that's what it is, just giving you a heads up. Sorry it's not better news and hopefully I am wrong but, I'd watch him closely. :(

How to tell them apart can definetaly be a challenge. Could be any of the above suggestion including Linckia guildingi. Not sure if this will help but try this as well.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/may2002/toonen.htm

As far as the first pic, it looks much like the star is extending it's digestive gland. Considering it disappeared, I would not think it in danger but may be stressed. If it was beginning to die, they will typically begin getting whitish lesions and simpley melt into nothing.

Cheers
Steve

Mine didn't Steve. It's suction cups separated from the body before the white/melt began. And, depending on how the star was on the glass, it looked normal at times. :? This was a blue linkia though. My orange linkia disintegrated like you explain. With the white lesions.

Thanks for the links. After viewing the info, I'm pretty convinced that what I have is, in fact, a purple linkia.. Or possibly a "violet" linkia, since the picture they had of a purple one was more of a reddish color than mine, but it may have just been the picture lighting. There were a few posts that sounded somewhat similar to the problem I'm having, except w/ a few key differences. The stuff that is coming out of it is only coming from the tips of a couple arms. After the stuff is expelled, the arm returns to normal and the rest of the star appears completely healthy.

However, every question/problem posted on that website ended with the same result... A dead starfish. I wouldn't mind finding a website that boasts a successful tank adaptation!...lol. I still have no idea what it is that is coming out of the tips of the arms, I just want to do what I can to increase its chances if there is something wrong. It seems that after an arm grazes over a portion of the LR, that arm is the next to expel whatever this stuff is. Am I being naive and too optomistic by hoping that he just takes big dumps?..lol.

Fluff, pardon the stupid question, but when you say suction cups, would those would be at the end of the tube feet? Whatever this stuff is, it's coming from the inside of the star, being expelled from the tip of where the tube feet end at the very tip of the arm. All of the tube feet, and little bright orange tips (suction cups?) are all still intact and active. Again, maybe it's just wishful thinking...lol.

The suction cups run along the arm underneath. If your looking at the star on the glass, they are really obvious. I've tried twice with linkias and lost both. But, neither had stuff protruding from the very tips so, perhaps it's something else. I did have some success with an orange one but never seen this behavior if it is expelling waste. My orange one was normal for months before it decided it was tired of living. :?

As beautiful as they are, and as much as I'd love to own one I'm not really seeing a strong case here for making such a purchase. I'm surprised that there isn't as much nay saying on the purchase of these as there is on Goniopora. Seems they're equally destined for an untimely demise.

I really hope that you're seeing waste and not loss of life in progress. Do keep us updated. I'm interested in hearing how he fares.

I have a choc. chip star that had a clear mucousy substance coming out of one of his feet when i first put him in my tank. It went away within three days, and I haven't seen it since. HTH.

Back
Top Bottom