Purple Urchin Eating Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neevitz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I know urchins are supposed to eat algae. But I woke up this morning to see my urchin on my brand new gonipora. I freaked and figured it was eating it since my green and purple star polyps disappeared after he touched them. Any advice on what to do. I moved him to my fuge, but want him back in the tank cause hes freakin' sweet lookin. Could it be eating my corals?

Don't have one but I heard they are touch and go w/ corals. If you have already caught the little bugger red handed then your options seems limited. One or the other.. Seemingly

urchins are tricky, some are very reef safe, some not so much, I have a pink pincushion urchin and a red pencil urchin, the pincushion (a lolt like a tuxedo) is like a cow that never stops moving, he takes care of alot of algae coralline if im not careful.. the pencil urchin which looks soo cool to me is more of meat eater, he east algae too but I caught hime eating a candycane coral that I was rehabbing...im guessing b/c It was 3/4 dead and on the rebound. i actually spot feed mine algae from a shet of dried red algae. you can get so colupra or some otherlive good algae for them to eat so they stay off of what you want. But if he has already taken some of your corals out, expect it to happen again...Id actually see if I could trade him in on something from a LFS, you dont want him eating all of your algae in your sump..

Back
Top Bottom