put lr in and now the ammonia spiked 2 days now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawn_Schlorff

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The question I have is...Ok i put in my lr in my aquarium (35 gallon hex)my ammonia is of the chart. i did this 2 days ago. i did a 30% water change and keep doseing it with cycle and its not comeing down. is there any other tricks to bring it down, and will this afect my lr?

Did you get the LR shipped to you?
Give us some info on what you have done up to today.
I'm not familiar with cycle, although I have heard of it.
What's in the tank now?

Cycle is a product used to cycle tanks and basically bacteria in a bottle. If you are cycling the tank then you want the ammonia to populate and convert to nitrite and so on.

i started my tank 1 month ago i just put in 40 lbs of indo rock and that night the ammonia spiked witch i knew it would. i was planing to what a few weeks to put anything eles in but i just really dont want the rock to die and if there might be any spores on it if they might die. i got the rock thusday night i put it in with wast controle and cycle i put cycle in yesturday morning then again last night and then a does this morning then tonight. oh and a water change yesterday morning iu did the water change.. does that hope please say yes?

Ahhh, I guess I am a little old fashioned, the cheap way....raw, unseasoned jumbo shrimp (1 per 30 gallons works for me), from my grocery store...It cost me $.51 to cycle my 125.
Shawn, if you don't have anything in the tank, let the rotting do it's stuff. It's the natural process.

If you previously cycled your tank then any new rock would need to be cured because the die-off will recycle. At this point siphon any die-off from the newly placed rock and perform 50% water changes daily if possible. Do you have livestock such as fish, coral, or other invertebrates?

thank you so just wait it is just cycleing agsin and the rck will be fine thank you everyone again it is nice to have the help

Oh ok, sorry I didn't catch on. So let me get this straight, you started your aquarium 1 month ago, but barely added liverock until now? So, you did not cycle your tank before and just had the system running? Just making sure I understand correctly :)

no started the cycle with out the rock i put in dead fish to start
now i have added the rock. So does that mean i am cycleing again?

Was the LR shipped?
What were your parameters before you added the LR?
Can you tell us step-by-step on what you did?
I think we are missing something here.....

EDIT
Are you still using the cycle product?

Last edited:
Yes, if the rock was purchased uncured then there will be much die-off and your tank will recycle (the existing bacteria will need to catch up to the newly introduced ammonia/bacteria source in order to process/convert). If you purchased cured liverock then there will be minimal die-off, but it will spike ammonia nonetheless.

parameter? that ammonia or Ph ammonia was 0 and ph was 8.1 it was brought up from toronto ont. about 2 hours away from were i am and i got the call from the pet store and picked it up i don't know if the toronto guy had it in a tank or had it shipped to him. I don't know if it was cycled but i don think so. come to think about it i had a lot of crabs in the box and they were dead so yes to shipped and no to being cycled.

Hello Shawn...My best advice that I can give right now is S-L-O-W D-O-W-N.... and put the chemicals away (trash can). IMO you cannot have an overnight reef. This hobby takes time and patience. The most beautiful tanks throughout AA all took time. I am going towards a more reefish tank now and I get ansy.....But I wait. read, ask questions (alot) and read more. I have learned more in the last year on AA than I had in 10+ years of keeping salt tanks. My old age has made me learn to slow down and enjoy!! hope this helps a little

thank you intimatecple that is probley the best advice i have got so i don't have to put nothing in (chemicals ie. cycle or anything like that) and just let it take it cource. But just leave the rock is that fine? i have bought lots of books and reading alot. The patience well still learning that one i am 26 with 4 kids sorta lost that but i can get it back. oh one more question id what is IMO?

Since there is no fish in there then everything will be OK. It will just recycle again and you`ll be good to go. You`ll just have a longer wait for fish. That will be OK though.

IMO = in my opinion... I have 5 children...21 down to 2 years old(next month)...but you are doing the right thing by asking questions....our advice here is free and we want nothing for it except PICTURES (LOL) just read the cycling proceedures and ck your levels....soon enough you will be on your way!!!!

If you previously cycled your tank then any new rock would need to be cured because the die-off will recycle. At this point siphon any die-off from the newly placed rock and perform 50% water changes daily if possible. Do you have livestock such as fish, coral, or other invertebrates?

I agree with Innovator here, but you can do some more. When you do the water change save the water in a bucket. Put the LR one at a time into the bucket and scrub the dead off it with a new toothbrush. Don't worry about hitchhikers they will be fine as long as you use the salt water. Replace the scrubbed piece in the tank and go on to the next. This will remove dead cells on the rock and the cycle will be much smaller.

Or just wait it out and do the full cycle. If you have life in the tank by all means scrub it or better yet cycle the new rock separately in a bucket with heater, pump and water from your tank.

Back
Top Bottom