Putting in PlaYsAnd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brianmatje

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I put Playsand in my tank today and after a few hours it is still veryvery cloudy is something wrong. And if not how long will it itake to clear up.

After awhile this will turn into Livesand too right? :slurp:

thats normal, especially if you didnt rinse the sand before putting it in, this lasted about 4 full days to be completly clear for me, usually you'll see a big difference in a day or two

Is playsand in general ok? A couple people (one of which works at Home Depot but is a very experienced reefkeeper) told me that regular playsand may not be safe because you don't know what's in it, and Southdown isn't available in Virginia. I was encouraged to buy a bag of the "live" aragonite sand, but it seems like that was unnecessary.

Brian, to answer your question, from what I can tell, any sand you use in your tank will eventually become live sand, and if you ever set up another sand-substrated tank, you should use some of that sand in the new tank as it will already be cutured.

Isn't being new to this stuff exciting? :)

-j

Playsand is fine for your tank. It's safe for kiddies to eat by the pound. Construction grade sand is a no-no, it's not washed, regulated etc. Other than that, the cloudiness will pass with time. Just have a bit of patience.

Back
Top Bottom