PVC Glue toxic??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnkristie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've done my own PVC plumbing on my new wet/dry system. Can the glue used to hold the pieces together leach anything toxic into the water for a fish only tank?

The glue itself should setup in under 10minutes but let it air dry for a few hours before using it.

The fumes just smell so awful I was wondering if they can get into the water. I let them cure for about 24 hours before coming into contact with the water.

Can the glue used to hold the pieces together leach anything toxic into the water for a fish only tank?
Kinda wondering the same myself. Saw a cool thread on here on constructing a cave out of PVC pipe for a fresh water tank. Was thinking of using crushed LR, instead of gravel, and covering the pipe with PVC glue and rolling it in the rubble. Then coat the inside as well. Figure coralline will eventually cover the spaces I missed with the rubble.

Always glue in a well ventlated area. I would nto worry about the glue much after it has set. There are so many hobbists out there using pvc thats been glued.

my overflow is plumbed with pvc, that has been glued together. tank has been set up for 10 months now, no problems related to pvc or glue.
good luck

I doubt I have ever waited more than 5 minutes to use the pvc after gluing, never had an issue.

5min LOL That makes me feel A bit better LOL I always gave it 10mins LOL

I feel much better LOL

James

I doubt I have ever waited more than 5 minutes to use the pvc after gluing, never had an issue.

wonders if the fishies can swim a sraight line after that one. S.W.C.I (swimming while chemicaly impaired) There's got to be a law against that. LOL

One of the "experts" at work today was actually telling me PVC glue is very bad to use and they actually are not allowed to use it when construcing water lines anymore..... I have no idea where he got this from but it sounded really stupid. I have seen hundreds of tanks using PVC setups and never once heard of a problem.

Back
Top Bottom