pvc plumbing of sumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onebadgsx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
do you need to use a special pvc cement that is non-toxic or what. what other way should this be done if so. or is the cement non toxic after it dries.

You will get lots of opinions about this, but I used standard glue on all the joints that HAD to be glued, and I havent seen any adverse effects

I've used it all. I usually use primer...had the clear and the purple both. I've used the clear medium PVC cement and the blue Rain R Shine (fast setting). I've used the orange glue for CPVC. Never had any problem with any of it. I usually let it set up for about 30 minutes before I run any water though it though. One word of advice...use lots of unions. I know they are expensive, but they will allow you to break the pipe into sections for cleaning or to remove the suicidal snail that got in there somehow and clogged the whole thing up.

Agree with Logan on the cement. Remember that they cements are rated for 240PSI bonds, so once it is glued, is stays glued. Be VERY careful in using the cleaner and the cement anywhere near any devices with lit pilots, like furnaces or hot water heaters. these solvents are very volatile. There was a recent article about a man who was severely burned doing PVC cementing in his basement near by his furnace. Make sure that you are either outside for the glueing or in a well ventilated area.

One other point, the glue is safe for potable water use. So once cured, there is no danger to your livestock. HTH 8)

Back
Top Bottom