qt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
clowninround said:
"Meno" my clown has a white stringy thing trailing from his top fin and he has white stuff on his gills and around his face...does this mean anything to you?
To me this sounds more like Brooklynella than velvet. If that's the case, the copper will have no real effect. It needs to be treated with >>formalin<<.

Cheers
Steve

thanks, I am going to my lfs and seeing what I can do...and tell her about the test kit she sold me that I can't use!

Call you LFS and see if they have formalin, its not that expensive. You can forget the copper and do daily formalin SW baths. If its Brookylnella it should help. I believe one of my Heni Butterfly's had it. I did this for 5 days and he cleared up.
I can send you some, but cannot until monday. I am on the road tomorrow.
A fw dip could help.
Your in college, right? Do you take chemistry? The lab should have some 37% formalin. Maybe they would give you some. Just make sure its not expired or been kept in a hot place. Once formalin gets above a certain temp, it becomes toxic.

steve-s said:
quarryshark said:
Well I searched the web and canot find out what test kit to get for this copper.
Does anyone know?
Seachems multi test would still be the better choice. I e-mailed Aquarium Systems recently as I was unsure myself and they confirmed the Fastest is only for ionic copper.

Cheers
Steve

This is becoming a pet peeve of mine in this hobby. The lack of correct test kits at the lfs's. For example when I had my velvet outbreak, all the lfs's carried cupramine, but none had the correct test kit. I had to have it overnighted from Marine Depot. Most of the stores didn't even know about their test kit. Either the lfs's or the sales reps from the companies need to do a better job of distributing test kits for these products. I wonder how many fish have been killed due to improper copper levels.
What would make sense is to sell the test kit with the drug. Would save many fish lives, plus make the company more money.
Rant over. :wink:

She gave me this stuff that has 1.2 copper and 17% formaldhyde??? I am looking at it now thinking is this the right stuff....please tell me this is right.

She swore to me that test worked even when I told her...all the tests came out the same...EVEN with water changes!!!! I even showed her where it said that it does not work with chelated copper and I also told her that online someone had written the company and verfied that it did not work and she went off on me that people with 30 minutes of expeirence are giving advice....I am so pissed...opps can I say that? But I should have NOT bought anything more, but shes the only pet shop in Kissimmee besides one other (which has quite a problem keeping fish alive to begin with!) It just makes me want to give up!

Should ask her how many fish she has treated for ich or velvet. For them its a tax write off, for us its our pets.
What is the name of the product? Not sure I can advise, never used something like that. The copper it the thing that is throwing me off. Does it say in the instructions anything about dips/baths?

clowninround said:
She gave me this stuff that has 1.2 copper and 17% formaldhyde??? I am looking at it now thinking is this the right stuff....please tell me this is right.
Does it have a name? Sounds like a touted "reef safe" treatment, which IMO there are none. 17% Formaldehyde will not be strong enough against Brooklynella.

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
Does it have a name? Sounds like a touted "reef safe" treatment, which IMO there are none. 17% Formaldehyde will not be strong enough against Brooklynella.

Cheers
Steve

What if she doubles the dose for a bath?

A minimum 37% Formaldehyde is needed to = formalin and be effective as a bath. You might be able to get away with it though. I would be concerned about overshooting the dosage and what the "1.2 copper" actually is(?).

Cheers
Steve

I am NEVER going to her again! It's called Organi-cure. It says nothing about sw dips or even treating against brooklynella! After showing her the picture of the damsel she told me what it was right away. After she got mad at me, I almost felt guilted into listening to her advice...we've been going to her for like two years now. So have my friends. So I TRUSTED her when she gave me these meds, she said she didn't have any straight formalin. I used my husbands money to buy it, with out letting him know in advance too. (he's already given up on the fish and wants to stop wasting money trying to save them). I am in college, but I haven't taken chemistry...but I soppose I could call some friends who may know someone who works in that section or knows someone in that class. Thats the only way I can see it working...My husband has had it and wants to start over. He's already told me that if it happens again he's gonna take over the tank and put sharks in it. I will try tonight and call my best friend...she knows A LOT of people at the college, maybe she can hook me up. I am getting my 150 to the house on Sunday, its already paid for, no turning back...please don't stop writing me....I have to make sure not to screw this up somehow (guess I'm pretty scared after this, lost my babies and a whole lot of money)

reefrunner69 found a test!!! Too bad I don't need it anymore lol. It's made by kordons...same people who make amqel

yeah, I won't know because my kit doesn't test for chelated copper...which this is tri chelated...whatever that means...it does say that it's non-toxic though....

one MORE problem to add to the mix...she told me not to treat him in the qt tank with all that copper...so I put him back in the 55...she said I could treat him from there...if I get the greater concentrate of formalin, can I treat him in there, or do I need to catch him again?

I can send you formalin, but not until Monday. I am going on the road in an hour and will not get home until late tomorrow. If you still have the need, I can UPS some to you.
Check out Marine Depot.com and some of the sponsoring sites on this site. Maybe someone will have it.
I found one store about 30 miles from here who had it, thats how I got my supply under similar circumstances.
I cannot suggest you doing this, but I would try if I had nothing else. Doing a SW (not FW) bath with the med you have now at double dose for 10-15 minutes. This would get you close to a theraputic dose, but the copper concentration is of concern. I would watch him very closely and if he is stessing, get him out.
Now my concerns are the same as Steve's listed above, its your call on how bad of shape you think your fish is in.

clowninround said:
one MORE problem to add to the mix...she told me not to treat him in the qt tank with all that copper...so I put him back in the 55...she said I could treat him from there...if I get the greater concentrate of formalin, can I treat him in there, or do I need to catch him again?
Sorry to say, you would have to move him again. You can run copper in the qt tank before dosing, and do a large water change.

ok, its too soon to tell but he may be responding to the med's she gave me!!! Before he was only at the bottom of the tank, kind of dragging himself really slowly....now I seen him swimming around the tank. My husband told me to go get what he needed too! :D I'll keep ya posted!

His breathing this morning seems to be getting back to normal...not quite there, but dramatically slower than before!

Back
Top Bottom