QT and Bio Balls??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think they could do more good then harm. You generally do frequent water changes on a QT anyways so I do not see a problem.

I use base rock in my QT. I know that if I ever had to treat it with chemicals I would need to pull the rock (and I would probably boil it at that point), but until I have a problem to deal with I want the fish as comfortable as possible and I want the bio-capabilities of the rock. I don't use live rock (no coraline, critters, etc), just some dry base rock that's somewhat "disposable". The rock held up just fine in my QT going through hypo and really helped out with keeping the parameters in check.

The problem as I see it with bio balls is that they float. That's just a very annoying property of them!

Well I should clarify that I use LR for a qt until there are signs of a problem then the fish would be moved to my Hospital tank and treated. The bio balls are now in the hopital tank and are packed into the back of the filter. I am going to place a sponge over the intake of the filter to keep food and other particles from being sucked into the filter. That means that only water should pass over the balls for the most part.. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom