QT feeding for a Blenny & a Goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mp3z24

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a orange spotted blenny, a red striped high fin goby, and a black and white percula clown in my QT, and i have been feeding them a variety of frozen, flake, and sinking foods. I dont see them eating when i feed, so i am concerned that they arent eating. Both of these fish are pretty reclusive and hide at the bottom of the QT, but they do move around sometimes... and the blenny picks at the glass, probably looking for algea.

FYI, my QT is a 10 gallon tank. The the clown and the goby are ~1 inch each and the blenny is ~2 inches, so i am not too worried about overstocking or bullying in the tank. Also, i usually change a gallon or two a week in the QT.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to feed. i have read some good stuff about cyclop-eeze for the goby, but i have yet to try it. also, i dont have any garlic or selcon yet, but im sure i can pick some up if it is recommended. should i put out some nori for the blenny?

concerned parent...
~mike

try turning your pumps off for about 15 minutes when you feed. feed lightly in a qt. also keep an eye on your levels. when i use a 10g qt with one fish, i change 1 gallon a day

steve r

i can definately increase my water change frequency... and plan to.

i usually turn off the filter and powerhead, but like i said, i dont see them take any of the foods. so i usually end up cleaning it out after about 15 minutes. any advice on the actual foods to offer them? the clown eats greedily, but the bottom dwellers dont get excited.

~mike

Tried any live brine? I'd rinse them in fresh water first though. I'd found that new QT'd fish sometime react quicker to live food to generate that "initial" feeding response. Of course, after that you can go back to the prepared foods. Live brine doesn't have any nutritional value. Then again, some have said they let their live brine swim in garlic and vitamins for a bit to enhance the nutritional value.

ALso, might try the foods you're already using soaked in Garlic Guard or some similar product. That may help'm also, my fish go crazy when they smell the gralic somehow.

if you use live brine, dose the water they are living in with selcon for 12 hours first. they are filter feeders and will absorb the selcon. there is a product i also use. i think it is called marine life or liquid life. it comes frozen in a small pump bottle and squirts little gobs of red goo that breaks apart when uit hits the water. fish love it and the food is very small making it easy for fish of all sizes to eat. i have also had luck with flake food crushed very small.

good luck
steve r

noted... thanks for the help. i will probably pick up some garlic and selcon, and give that a whirl with the food i currently feed. if i have to, i can try the brine shrimp thing...

~mike

Its pretty hard but I eventually got my blenny and goby to eat flake. But try the garlic as previosly mentioned.

they are eating now with the foods that i already have. i have a 5 frozen foods and i shave a little from each time i feed. herbivore, omnivore, and carnivore foods mixed together.... buffet for fish!

i guess they just had to stop being so stubborn and take what was offered to them.

~mike

That sounds good but not true as I have seen fish starve to death with food in front of their face. Sometimes there is a happy ending as in your case.

Back
Top Bottom